Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-26-2011, 08:15 PM

There are quite a few groups that would love to have you donate to them. Binky Patrol, Newborns in Need, Quilts for Kids, Downey project are just a few I know of. There is another one for adults, something like ugly quilts??? (sorry, not sure of the name) You use whatever to make quilt/sleeping bags for homeless people. Many church groups get together & do projects for people in need. You can also look at groups on yahoo. Just a few ideas for you. There are many people who appreciate that someone was thinking of them. Perfection is not required.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM

I make quilts for our Advocacy Group. They go to children who have been removed from their homes due to drugs, etc. Or, the children have to testify in court (a horrible thing to have to do, I think)! The need is so great for these quilts. The TV said tonight that in 2009 280 children were removed from their homes and placed in safe places; in 2010 over 400 faced the same traumatic problem. I also make soft cuddly bears or dogs from fleece which I stuff and send to the advocacy group.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I want to rid myself of the bad vibes from making quilts for people who've turned out to be jerks so I want to quilt for charity. Its actually something I've wanted to do, but never got around to and I think now is the perfect time to do a couple of them.

I have a lot of different ideas on what to make, but as soon as I think of an idea I come up with another. So I'm wondering what kinds of quilts others on here have done for charity to maybe get some ideas and hopefully make my brain slow down a little.
Downy, fabric softener people, did have a program where they send you fabric for the top and pattern. You cut it out, piece it and buy the backing, batting and binding. Send them back the finished quilt.
Robin in Brownwood TX
Old 01-26-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I honestly think the quilts you make will work for teens/young adults those seem to be areas where the quilts are the fewest.
I'm assuming you're refering to the fact I make heavy metal or video game themed quilts or quilts with a lot of black in them. Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way (I have been "moody" the last couple days, I'll admit), but its like you're saying I'm completely incapable of creating a charity quilt that would be orientated to children.

One of the ideas I had for a charity quilt was a pink and chocolate rag quilt with pink rag edge applique hearts on the chocolate patches. Seriously, what average little girl wouldn't want that?
I don't think that is what she meant at all. Any little girl would love that pink and chocolate quilt. I personally have made quilts for Victory Outreach, a drug rehab; quilt for kids; our local hospitals; the VA; fire dept; and my favorite, the sheriff's department. Make what you like, and give from your heart. The recipient will love the quilt you make, after all, it has some of you in it.
Peace
Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 PM

my two friends and I made large single size Quillows one year and took them to the homeless that live under the bridges etc. We attached cloth handles to the folded up quillow so they would have a handle to carry them with. We also made lap quilts for the veterans hospitals, and old folks.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:18 PM

sorry
Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by gzuslivz
I honestly think the quilts you make will work for teens/young adults those seem to be areas where the quilts are the fewest.
I'm assuming you're refering to the fact I make heavy metal or video game themed quilts or quilts with a lot of black in them. Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way (I have been "moody" the last couple days, I'll admit), but its like you're saying I'm completely incapable of creating a charity quilt that would be orientated to children.

One of the ideas I had for a charity quilt was a pink and chocolate rag quilt with pink rag edge applique hearts on the chocolate patches. Seriously, what average little girl wouldn't want that?
I would LOVE to see some of your quilts. You actually fill a niche that most of us miss. My quilt group has made American Hero quilts and quilts for kids at Children's Hospital. We have raffled quilts for the local food bank and for cancer. Don't change for anyone! God wants you to use your talent and YOUR personality to make a difference in your world.
Well....since you asked...
[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/100_0064.jpg[/IMG]

This is the last one I worked on, or rather the top of it: "Ode from a Maggot" (hardcore Slipknot fans are called "maggots" for the way they "feed" off their music). Actually, its still unfinished. All that's left is the quilting and the binding (the t-shirt parts were tied). It was going to be a very late Christmas present for someone who was supposed to me my friend who turned out to be the biggest jerk (I wouldn't use the term "jerk", but the word I want to use would get me banned from here). Ripped out the custom made label since then. Still have a lot of bad vibes from the whole thing so I'm going to wait a while before finishing it and then once its finished my brother is going to get it...he's seen me make this thing since day one and he loves Slipknot so I know he'll appreciate it.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by imacoffeesnob

I don't think that is what she meant at all. Any little girl would love that pink and chocolate quilt. I personally have made quilts for Victory Outreach, a drug rehab; quilt for kids; our local hospitals; the VA; fire dept; and my favorite, the sheriff's department. Make what you like, and give from your heart. The recipient will love the quilt you make, after all, it has some of you in it.
Peace
I know, I know. I kind of took it as an insult at first. Guess it could have been taken both ways. But someone made it seem more like a compliment and now I think it really was one. ...at least I hope so.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM

I work at a Children's hopsital and ANy girl wouldlove what you describe. Go for it. Quilts and blankets are delivered every Thursday at our hospital and the kids love them.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 PM

I haven't made one for a charity yet, but once I get my DD's pieced and I start quilting (hand) it I have some planned in my head to make lap quilts for a nursing home and some baby quilts for an organization that helps pregnant women who need help. I also would like to make one for a soldier and a women's shelter. I'm not sure how long it will be before they are a reality, but when I get to it those are some of my ambitions. In this weather when I hear about a family having a fire and losing everything, I think how wonderful it would be to be able give them a quilt.
Let your heart lead you to direct you to a charity for your quilts.