Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Thank you for sharing the pictures. I'm always looking for ideas for charity projects. It's nice to have simple patterns because they work up quicker. The recipients sure do love getting the quilts.

Originally Posted by Pam J
Love the Project Linus group I meet with. I work at a Public Library and set up a "Quilting in the Library" day once a month. It is for anyone to work on any quilt--their own or a charity. Most are for charity because it gives so many quilters pleasure. Here are a few pictures of their quilts.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 PM

I volunteer for the American Indian Center in Indianapolis, Indiana and found out that 54% of the Indian babies ages 3 and under are dying on the Reservations. This should not be happening in this day and age. I decided to make and collect baby quilts and send to the Indian Reservations. In 4 months last year, my goal was 100 baby quilts. I made it with 103 baby quilts, new, used, and handmade. Several women helped me. The quilts went to 4 Reservations in North Dakota. My goal this year is to make 200 quilts. I would love any help I can get. Any kind of quilt is fine. Babies don't care, they just need to be warm.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 PM
QM
Power Poster

These are a few of my charity quilts for last year. The last 2 were from fabrics that an on-line friend in Montana sent me for this purpose. Sue is bed sized. The other 2 are lap/baby quilts. I included the 3rd to show how simple an effective quilt can be. As I recall, that top took me about 2.5 hours, including interrumptions.

Sunbonnet Sue
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168831[/ATTACH]

Cowboy Sam
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168832[/ATTACH]

Floral Fairy Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]168833[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168826.jpe
Views:	9
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	168831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168827.jpe
Views:	12
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	168832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-168828.jpe
Views:	13
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	168833  
Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 PM

My sister-in-law has done 7 to 10 raffle quilts....First one was to raise money to help an employee with funeral expenses...the next was for a church member with cancer, then several for diferent church functions...The last one was a Yellow Brick Road done in blue and white...came out great...only thing is when you do this pattern, at least when I did mine and she did the blue and white, we did so many squares that we could do another whole quilt...So I say the only thing is decide on your fabric, pick a pattern, decide on size and go for it...if there is nothing going on at this time then you can have it ready for the next upcoming event...or donate to children's hospital or nursing homes or assisted living residents....Most of these would be twin size or you could do lap quilts for when they are sitting in their chairs watching tv...or you could donate to cancer treatment centers....someone the other day was making a quilt for someone on chemo treatment...She said that this person gets cold during their treatment...Just a few thoughts
Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I honestly think the quilts you make will work for teens/young adults those seem to be areas where the quilts are the fewest.
I'm assuming you're refering to the fact I make heavy metal or video game themed quilts or quilts with a lot of black in them. Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way (I have been "moody" the last couple days, I'll admit), but its like you're saying I'm completely incapable of creating a charity quilt that would be orientated to children.

One of the ideas I had for a charity quilt was a pink and chocolate rag quilt with pink rag edge applique hearts on the chocolate patches. Seriously, what average little girl wouldn't want that?
I believe you could make a quilt for any human you chose. Give yourself a nice warm bath, a cup of hot coca, and relax. We all love you.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I honestly think the quilts you make will work for teens/young adults those seem to be areas where the quilts are the fewest.
I'm assuming you're refering to the fact I make heavy metal or video game themed quilts or quilts with a lot of black in them. Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way (I have been "moody" the last couple days, I'll admit), but its like you're saying I'm completely incapable of creating a charity quilt that would be orientated to children.

One of the ideas I had for a charity quilt was a pink and chocolate rag quilt with pink rag edge applique hearts on the chocolate patches. Seriously, what average little girl wouldn't want that?
I believe you could make a quilt for any human you chose. Give yourself a nice warm bath, a cup of hot coca, and relax. We all love you.
Already ahead of you on the cocoa and relaxing. Unfortunatly the scorching hot bath will have to wait because I can't take one for another month or so. Er...I mean...I got a tattoo almost a month ago and can't soak in water like taking baths or swimming until its fully healed. Ugh, and I have to go in again to get it touched up so that might be a while.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 AM
QM
Power Poster

I agree with madamekelly, that you could make quilts for whatever population for which you wished. My guess is that the previous writer was not implying a lack on your part, but a strength, as many of your quilts are likely to appeal MOST to the teen 'audience', which is not always easy to design for,
Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by QM
I agree with madamekelly, that you could make quilts for whatever population for which you wished. My guess is that the previous writer was not implying a lack on your part, but a strength, as many of your quilts are likely to appeal MOST to the teen 'audience', which is not always easy to design for,
Exactly! :thumbup:
Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 AM

I am the local coordinator for Project Linus here in North Wales and I find the most loved quilts, they all are but the favourite is ones with the brightest and vibrant colours.

This is one I made. using a tip I found on this forum, just last weekend:

If you look thro' this album: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/559247566tTxWNs?vhost=home-and-garden you will see the wide range of quilts I get.

There is just one important tip, machine finish your bindings, these quilts are going to be washed far more than the norm and are going to well loved so the need the machine stitching for durability.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:46 AM

My quilts are made with my heart....Do what makes YOU happy, and the rest will fall in place... I mainly give baby quilts to charity, friends, and those that "commission" them.( Those get a "theme" of their choosing.) Just sent one off for a little girl in Fla. Her name is Grace and she's full of vinegar! Her auntie asked for a "sweet" quilt... I made a Heart and solid block quilt...All in pinks and white. Won't find out til next week if she liked it. BTW she's 4 years old, and has behavior issues. Just remember;KARMA, BABY, KARMA!!!!! Do what you love: love what you do!!!! God Bless you!!!!