Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 AM

Please dend me some information on how to volunteer. Will love to help. I live in new Jersey.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 AM

D9P for our local children's hospital and fleece "small" quilts for the neonatal unit. Love, love, love it! Good for you to contribute to your community this way. :thumbup:
Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by maryellis
Please dend me some information on how to volunteer. Will love to help. I live in new Jersey.
Here is the link for Project Linus chapters in the New Jersey area, good luck:

http://www.projectlinus.org/chapter.php?StateKey=NJ#tgt
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 AM

I'm in the process of making kids quilts for infant to 10 years old that are now living in a domestic violence home. Of course, the location is confidential. I prayed for just such a place for kids quilts. Two weeks ago I took a different road into a mall and, low and behold, a thrift shop for just such an organization. Yippee. I met the gal who runs it and she suggests giving the quilts at Easter. I will keep in touch with her as to age and sex. In the meantime, I'm going to have FUN. Head Start is another place because the kids take naps. Great place for quilts. God bless all of you. Quilting Joan
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 AM

I do quilts for the Lutheran World Relief, the quilts go to Haiti and third world countries, they use the quilts for everything. Our quilts are 60 x 80, we tie and serge ours. We did 31 one this year. I love all the fabric that is donated, I am working on a stash right now. We display them in October (they get a blessing) and in November it gets shipped. Check out you local churches.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM

Help! Advice needed. I've got all sorts of "kiddie" prints I bought when my grand children were small and I've started using the unused to make quilts for kids. I also had a lot of fleece with soccer balls on it and I used it for backing for several, omitting any batting. Now a fleece sale is coming up and with the prices being offered it will be MUCH cheaper than batting and I've used up my larger batting pieces I have on hand. I've made a blanket (more a cuddle blanket only) using a fun print backed with fleece.

Does cotton material sewn onto fleece last OK? Any problems that you could warn me about? (Besides needing to clean my machine more frequently?) Advice please.

Also, you have to know that my quilts for charity are sooo much simpler than the ones others seem to be making. I make a panel out of a fun print, border it with a color that matches, use the same fabric as backing (unless I use fleece), try to use a fun stitch that fits for quilting and in half a day I'm done. If I ever run out of the fun prints I will be reduced to using up my smaller pieces and that should be fun also.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM

Help! Advice needed. I've got all sorts of "kiddie" prints I bought when my grand children were small and I've started using the unused to make quilts for kids. I also had a lot of fleece with soccer balls on it and I used it for backing for several, omitting any batting. Now a fleece sale is coming up and with the prices being offered it will be MUCH cheaper than batting and I've used up my larger batting pieces I have on hand. I've made a blanket (more a cuddle blanket only) using a fun print backed with fleece.

Does cotton material sewn onto fleece last OK? Any problems that you could warn me about? (Besides needing to clean my machine more frequently?) Advice please.

Also, you have to know that my quilts for charity are sooo much simpler than the ones others seem to be making. I make a panel out of a fun print, border it with a color that matches, use the same fabric as backing (unless I use fleece), try to use a fun stitch that fits for quilting and in half a day I'm done. If I ever run out of the fun prints I will be reduced to using up my smaller pieces and that should be fun also.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 AM

The quilting group I belong to is currently making quilts for an unwed mothers' pregnancy center. The patients earn points by going to dr's appts, etc. to spend in the "store" and buy quilts and other items with the points. We have also made approximately 120 quilts for an orphanage in Kenya and several for children in foster care.

Neonatal care units, childrens hospitals, hospice groups, the military and their families, domestic abuse shelters, unwed pregnancy centers, children's homes and their emergency receiving shelters and foster children are some places that would happily receive handmade quilts. Then there are foreign needs such as earthquake regions, etc.

Sorry if I didn't help you narrow down the possibilities. So many opportunities, so little time! (sigh)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM

I love doing my charity quilts, they just love the beauty and colors. Our quilts went to Haiti and third world countries. If a family moves they wrap their belongings in the quilts (family don't need much).
Old 01-27-2011, 03:19 PM

Great, I am doing the same thing. Those that want a quilt are around most times until it is a done deal. It is so much easier to do something for someone that really can use it and appreciate it. Don't need the thank you just give me a smile and use it.

Good job.