Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need encouragement. Cal King on home sewing machine >

Need encouragement. Cal King on home sewing machine

Need encouragement. Cal King on home sewing machine

Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 AM

Nancy's Notions has things that look like bicycle clips you can roll a quilt petty tightly with this. I have quilted king size on my viking saphire with no problems Diane C.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 AM

I just want to add to the other quotes that it takes guts to challenge yourself to such a large project. You go girl. I really have problems with the machine quilting as well, but decided to challenge myself and did it. Put aside the doubts and go for it, it worked for me. My frugile nature just does not see the point of paying someone for quilting, after I have recycled old clothing or ties to make the tops. Good luck you can do it. Taking breaks when the back or neck get tiered helps.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:43 AM

I would try to nest it (puddle) that way you only have a small amount under the arm at any one time.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Yes I agree. My Pfaff has a 10 inch throat and I easily quilted a Cal king. Of course I just did stippling. The nesting method works best for me also.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Anna, this topic really caught my interest, as I've always wanted to do machine quilting on my own machine which is a Janome 6500 just like yours, but was afraid to try it. But I know you can do it with all the positive answers and encouragement. I know after reading this, I'm sure gonna give it a try---the next time with my quilt. Looking forward to seeing your quilt on the board.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the heads up. I did finnish spray basting but I think I will add a pin for every block and hand baste with thread along the edges. Like some one mentioned it is too easy to get the back to bunch up and sew through multiple layers. Hopefully all the extra basting will prevent that. today will be the big day I am starting.

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
one thing I would do is either thread baste or pin baste - the spray baste stuff tends to slip and slide. I only use it for small things - placemats, table runners.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I am sure feeling much better prepared with all the tips and info. The quilt has its main quilting lines drawn on it waiting for me. I should start this afternoon after I add the basting pins and hand baste the edge. I plan to pace it over days/weeks.

Originally Posted by GrandmaJeanne
Anna, this topic really caught my interest, as I've always wanted to do machine quilting on my own machine which is a Janome 6500 just like yours, but was afraid to try it. But I know you can do it with all the positive answers and encouragement. I know after reading this, I'm sure gonna give it a try---the next time with my quilt. Looking forward to seeing your quilt on the board.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Thanks for the heads up. I did finnish spray basting but I think I will add a pin for every block and hand baste with thread along the edges. Like some one mentioned it is too easy to get the back to bunch up and sew through multiple layers. Hopefully all the extra basting will prevent that. today will be the big day I am starting.
The first thing I would do is eliminate all but a couple of inches on all sides of the extra batting and backing. That will cut down on the bulk A LOT. I have spray basted about 120+ quilts, many very large ones, and have never had a problem with slipping or sliding and I never use pins or those bicycle clips. I would push and pull and start in the center, just make sure you have a lot of table space to the left and behind the machine to support the quilt. I also do not use gloves because I have discovered using glycerin. Just a drop or two on your fingers and palms will give your hands all the tackiness you need, it washes off easily and is good for chapped/cracked hands. Let us know how you did.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

LOL Did you read my mind? So I am sitting here procrastinating starting the quilting. I just told my DD 13 who has been helping me baste and put on the quilting lines, lets first trim down the edges. Alright, off I go trimming the edges.

Originally Posted by Delilah
Originally Posted by Annaquilts
The first thing I would do is eliminate all but a couple of inches on all sides of the extra batting and backing. That will cut down on the bulk A LOT. I have spray basted about 120+ quilts, many very large ones, and have never had a problem with slipping or sliding and I never use pins or those bicycle clips. I would push and pull and start in the center, just make sure you have a lot of table space to the left and behind the machine to support the quilt. I also do not use gloves because I have discovered using glycerin. Just a drop or two on your fingers and palms will give your hands all the tackiness you need, it washes off easily and is good for chapped/cracked hands. Let us know how you did.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Since you've already spray-basted to the backing, I'm not sure this will help.

You can separate the batting into 3 pieces. This eliminates the bulk on each side while you are machine quilting the center. I first saw this technique described in detail in a book by Debra Wagner. Marti Michell now has a book out on how to do it. A long time ago I posted how to do it, and someone later PM'd me that it had worked very well for you. Later on, if I can find my old post, I will link it here.

Haven't found my old post (200 pages of old posts to work through!). However, here is a link to the Marti Michell book:
http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Quilti.../dp/B000NNGZJE

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think this is the Debra Wagner book that has excellent instructions on this technique:
http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Qu...dp/0801986605/
i think what is being referred to is the flip method where each of three parts is quilted separately and then put together like a QAYG, but no sashing. the front edges are sewn right sides together and the back, left open, is hand stitched to close. when the three parts are connected the quilt is done. you finish it off with binding in the normal way. before i got my LA, this was a way i used successfully a couple of times for extra-large queens. if you want more precise instructions, pm me.