Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Hand Quilting - need encouragement >
  • Hand Quilting - need encouragement

• Hand Quilting - need encouragement

Old 01-28-2011, 02:41 PM
    Power Poster

I applaud your first attempt. Your stitches are so even, it's amazing. Great Job.
    Old 01-28-2011, 04:36 PM

hand quilting can be relaxing, and even comforting. it just takes practice, lots of pratice.

experts will tell you, to work on stiches that are even, and the tiny stiches will evolve!
    Old 01-28-2011, 04:46 PM

Your quilting looks much, much smaller and more even than I was for the first year and many trials. Keep up the good work and yes it is relaxing!
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Your stitches look great for a beginner. They look just like mine looked when I first started. But, it doesn't take long and you realize the stitches are getting smaller! The first quilt I hand quilted was a queen size flying geese. In the very middle, where I started, look like yours. By the end of the quilting, I had the tiniest stitches! I didn't take the bigger ones out. I wanted to leave them to show the progression a quilter goes through. :)
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Very good stitching. It will get easier and you'll get faster. Your stitches look small to me. I could never get the hang of knitting!!! :lol:
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:38 PM

It really looks nice. No one is going to call the Quilt Police so enjoy. Everyone has to start with something, with the design being so cute the quilting is not going to be a big issue. :wink: :mrgreen:
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM

You are doing a great job! It will not look like machine stitches, but that is part of the beauty. It's made by a person and can not be duplicated by the next guy or even by you. Some people just prefer the exactness of machine quilting and maybe that's you.
    I do both but I'm not an expert, I just like the personal touch of doing it by hand. But I could never achieve some of the beauty that comes from machine quilting.You are being too hard on yourself. It looks very nice. When I made my first quilt, it was a sampler and I can pick out which blocks were my first ones by the stitches, like anything else there is a learning curve.
    Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 PM

I wanted to add something. It looks like you have flannel on the back and that is hard to hand quilt through. It's much thicker than muslin.
    Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Well, I'm going to say something a little different than everyone else...sort of. Everyone is different and everyone has their own unique style of quilting. There is no sense in comparing yours to someone elses.

I have been a hand quilter for 14 years and I do not do the book instructed type of stitches. I have almost no strength in my hands due to a disabilty. I stab stitch..GASP!! But having said that I have perfected my stitch over time so that unless someone actually sees me quilting they would never guess that I have to do it that way. There is a process of loading your stitches on to the thread closest to the needle eye and then pulling five or six through all at once so that it gives the look of regular hand quilting. Many quilters have looked at my work and none knew the truth about how I created my personal stitch. I can also promise you that no one has ever thrown a hand stitched quilt back at me and screamed NOOO YOU DID IT WRONG! LOL! This is not to say that you should resort to my way of doing things, my way took lots of time and practice too. The best thing that you can do is take your time, grieve your loss, treat yourself with kindness for as long as you need to. No matter the stitches, that quilt you are making will always wrap you in warmth and eventually fond memories. Best wishes!
    Old 01-28-2011, 06:27 PM

I think it looks absolutely great!!!!