Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do they make...? >

Do they make...?

Do they make...?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

there are quilter's t-squares. and l-shape rulers...the difference between them and the hardware store ones is the thickness. the quilters are generally either 1/4" thick (or even 3/8" the hardware store ones are generally 1/8" thick. the ones from the quilt shop is acrylic, the hardware stores are steel...using metal ones (can possibly) leave marks on the fabric...which will probably wash out...you have to be VERY careful if using it for cutting not just marking because it is a lot thinner edge you are running your blade along. price -- the quilt shop ones are LOTS more expensive...but depending on the use may be well worth it
Old 01-30-2011, 04:59 AM

They do...but they are small and very expensive so I went to Home Depot and bought the reg L shaped and also a large dry wall ruler (6 ft) L shaped for my big quilts...for only 10.00 can't beat that.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
They do...but they are small and very expensive so I went to Home Depot and bought the reg L shaped and also a large dry wall ruler (6 ft) L shaped for my big quilts...for only 10.00 can't beat that.
Oh cool...I'll have to make a trip down to Lowes and see what they have (we don't have a Home Depot in the area).
Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 AM

If you want to stick with acrylic, you can just order a piece of seconds plexiglass off Ebay for a couple of dollars. They'll usually even cut it to the size you want. Then, print off the ruler markings on transparencies and tape them onto the ruler.

That way, you can get whatever length and size you want!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:46 AM

Aren't we a creative group!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 PM

Yes, I'm gong to make my own!! I can do the L-shaped one and the centering ruler, too. I can get the very thin flexible plastic rulers (very inexpensive from my dealer) with the "zero" center mark which comes in 12". I'll just get 2 and cut them down to fit for the centering ruler.

On the L shape I'll get some acrylic and the guy I do accounting for has a shop where they have tools to set meters and such and he probably has just the right tools to make a L-shaped ruler!!

We all are GOOD...when we're not having brain dead moments! I'll let everyone know how it all works out.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 PM

I got a L ruler from Lowes....does the job...cheaper too.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I use the 2-ruler method that I saw on a quilt show one time.

Line up your long ruler in the north/south direction, and then use a smaller/chunky ruler (mine is 6x9) in the east/west direction. Works for me.
I do the somewhat the same thing. I use my long ruler for width of the material and I use a 12x12 on the length edge of the material. It works great.