Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new cutting/pressing table!! >

My new cutting/pressing table!!

My new cutting/pressing table!!

Old 01-31-2011, 04:08 AM

great cutting table, Ill have to show that to my husband he can build me one of those.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 AM

Woo-ooW! I really like that - storage and a table.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:17 AM

My husband cut me a thin plywood piece. I covered it with batting and then covered that with muslin all the way around and stapled it along the edges. This way I can use both sides for pressing. When it gets soiled from the iron and the startch I use, I just remove and replace the muslin. Works great for me.
Pat
Old 01-31-2011, 05:25 AM

Hi Anita:
I love your new table. Not sure if you've got an answer yet, so thought I'd add my two cents worth.
I have an ironing table--a big board that the canvas top is stapled to. But I wanted to keep that clean and have something I could remove to launder if I needed to. So I just made a removeable cover for it. I used home dec fabric which is a bit heavier than our quilters cottons. I just wrapped it up like a present and used some velcro to attach the skirt to it. I hide all sorts of clutter underneath. Hope that this explanation helps!
see photos of my studio here

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-93990-1.htm
Originally Posted by AnitaSt
We're remodeling some rooms and while our carpenter was making shelves for my sewing room, I asked him to build me a cutting/pressing table based on some photos I gave him. He did great! It's not painted yet. The top and the extension leaf are topped with white laminate with a wood border. It's 24" x 52" and the extension leaf makes it 48" x 52". Good size for basting.

Now...I need a pressing pad to put on top. He cut me a piece of 1/4" plywood and I've seen posts about using a stapler to attach batting and a cover. Do you think velcro would hold the fabric cover tight enough? Would make it much easier to change. Has anyone done that?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 AM

Oh for a large quilting room. Mine is one half of a L living room. Just husband and I so works but would love the space for pressing a quilt without wrinkling it before I got done. Enjoy it.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:13 AM

I made a pressing board that I love because it's wide enough for a full width of fabric and it's on wheels. Instead of regular batting I used the special batting for pot holders that has the silver fiber sandwiched in between the batting. This way the heat is reflected back onto the fabric. I just stapled my fabric cover on.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 AM

Great table. Love the shelves in the background too. Going to be a super space when you are finished.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM

I re-did my pressing board. The cover was so covered with starch and getting pretty grungy. I made a cover with a casing, pulled a cord thru the casing and tied it. Now I can remove it whenever I want to wash it. I made a smaller cover for my smaller board and that cover has elastic thru the casing. Both covers stay nice and snug.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

That is an awesome table. You will have many happy hours using it!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:50 PM

Check out thet tutorials on Missouri Star Quilt Company. Under the "project tutorials" label is a video about an ironing board. It's how I made mine, but instead of an old towel I ended up using batting. Works great!
http://tutorials.missouriquiltco.com/