Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has this ever happened to you? >

Has this ever happened to you?

Has this ever happened to you?

Old 02-03-2011, 05:02 AM

Jacguie, now i feel better. I have a sewing room in the barn, up stairs, seems like i have my Doll room in the spare bed room. :roll: ,all i have is Rottweilers ,no animals, hell i even have a chandelier up stairs. couch, small frig --Books and did i say some (FABRIC). :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 AM

I think you posted those pics to make me feel better. Every morning I tell myself Im going to tackle my sewing room,and ..... I know I'm a messy, I have good intentions they just stay in my head.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:14 AM

So where do you quilt? It looks as though there is more coming in than going out. I think you are brave to show these pictures. Because I could never quilt in a cluttered room like this. Maybe I'm just a neat freak. I believe a place for everything and everything in its place. If I don't have a place for it, I don't buy it. My sewing room is a small bedroom and I don't buy fabric as long as my shelves are full. Making quilts uses up my stash, when my stash gets low I plan quilts to make, then I buy more fabric.
Personally I think you need to de-clutter, sell or give away a lot
of your clutter, aparantly you don't need it or you would have used it in a quilt by know. By the posts here at the QB it looks as though people let this hobby get out of control.
How can a quilter choose fabrics for a quilt in a cluttered room with fabric that is not organized. I want to see 'all' my fabric at a glance when I begin a quilt. I do not want to have to dig through piles of fabric, or go through containers looking for fabric. And I don't want to run to the quilt shop to buy fabric everytime I start a quilt. These are just my opinions and I am not pointing fingers at anyone. I do belive organization to any hobby is important.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by janethagy
Wow you do have quite a stash there :)
Im in Edmond Ok wouldnt take me long to get to Enid...LOL
We could carpool.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by pieces
So where do you quilt? It looks as though there is more coming in than going out. I think you are brave to show these pictures. Because I could never quilt in a cluttered room like this. Maybe I'm just a neat freak. I believe a place for everything and everything in its place. If I don't have a place for it, I don't buy it. My sewing room is a small bedroom and I don't buy fabric as long as my shelves are full. Making quilts uses up my stash, when my stash gets low I plan quilts to make, then I buy more fabric.
Personally I think you need to de-clutter, sell or give away a lot
of your clutter, aparantly you don't need it or you would have used it in a quilt by know. By the posts here at the QB it looks as though people let this hobby get out of control.
How can a quilter choose fabrics for a quilt in a cluttered room with fabric that is not organized. I want to see 'all' my fabric at a glance when I begin a quilt. I do not want to have to dig through piles of fabric, or go through containers looking for fabric. And I don't want to run to the quilt shop to buy fabric everytime I start a quilt. These are just my opinions and I am not pointing fingers at anyone. I do belive organization to any hobby is important.
We all have our ways and they aren't for everyone. Kindness is also a desirable trait.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:52 AM

Oh Jacquie, you are one brave soul to post that! I have been cleaning my room for 6 months - now I have moved my portable machine to the basement and starting to mess that up too. There just isn't enough space and I am a slob! but - its getting there. You would be surprised on how neat using boards for your fabric look, organizing by color, and standing them upright. It makes the stash look 80% smaller. Good luck - and know you are NOT alone!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:54 AM

After looking at all the pictures of peoples stash..I guess I am not a true quilter (yet maybe) as my stash consists of one little 6 in high, 12 wide and 22 long tote. With room to spare in it. ha ha ha I did show my husband some of the pictures of peoples stash..and his comment to me..was..hun you will get there yet..just start buying when on sale and just keep adding to it. Thats what he does with his wood making projects. His wood shop is full of wood from floor to ceiling, and 3 walls of it. He makes shelves, pens, key chains, knick knacks, you name it out of wood.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:58 AM

Hi Jaci, I'm in Oklahoma City. Would love to help you organize (and of course buy some) your stash. My sewing area would look like yours but I just keep adding shelves. I sew in my den, which is the major gathering place for family, But there are two 8' wide closets in the east end and I store stuff there from floor to ceiling. I two have two floor to ceiling bookcases on another wall that are 4' wide, one of the bookcases has doors. They hold a lot of stuff. and of course my utility room is floor to ceiling with shelves of fabric built around my washer and dryer. Oh, and I have an armoire that is full of notions, scraps of batting, etc. Look around, I'm sure there is somewhere you can add shelves or storage. Good luck getting organized so you can start using up that stash!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:05 AM

I live close, abt. 20 min. west. I work for fabric!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:07 AM

I would love to be at your sale - bet I could find a piece just the right size and just the right color for whatever I'm working on that day.