Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with quilting pattern >

Need help with quilting pattern

Need help with quilting pattern

Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 AM

Hello,
Your quilt is beautiful. I was taught that you are always supposed to have one error in your quilt in honor of God, because only God is perfect.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 AM

Whatever you do it will only enhance your beautiful work. You must be so proud. I would be!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 AM

Love your quilt, I do not do hand quilting, so I'm no help but I enjoy the beauty of yours. I like how you have made each block pop on it's own. beautiful work. :)
Old 02-04-2011, 03:47 AM

Really like your quilt. I'm kind of partial to out-lining some of the pattern in the quilt block. Usually that makes it pop out at you. Don't over quilt or you'll wear yourself out and won't want to do another.As far as the sashing, a vine a swirl or just quilt 1/4 inch in on the long seams. Nobody says it has to be fussy. You might like it better if you do straight lines in the sash becauce it's simple and won't draw from your pattern.Let your spray adhesive set a little before you quilt. Sometime it's tacky if it's damp.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 AM

I think your quilt is beautiful. You certainly can't tell by looking at it that it's your 4th piece.

I read all the replies and some of them suggest manners of quilting that may be beyond you at the moment. If I read your original post correctly, you have not handquilted before. I spray baste, then pin over it, with no problems at all. No drag on the needle ever. I still pin here and there because I'm paranoid that the spray will magically stop working.

For quilting motif, since it's your first attempt at hand quilting, I suggest you do a basic outline either in the ditch or close to the ditch around the blocks themselves. Then, I would quilt around the center square patch or the pinwheel in each block. When you turn your quilt backwards, it will look like a little square surrounded by a bigger square.

Vines, feathers, hearts and other freehand things can be difficult if you don't have a lot of experience.

Start in the middle of your quilt. You will notice your stitching improving as you work on your quilt. The size of your stitches aren't nearly as important as the consistency of them. If your stitches are a bit big, shoot for all of them being a bit big. As you quilt, your stitches will naturally get smaller.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by mackandblues
Beautiful! I would do outline quilting but that's what I like - emphasizes the piecing.
I agree.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:06 AM

RuthLay, I was just reading the post and came to your post and picture, this is funny I thought your picture was me. They say we have a twin somewhere, I guess it's me.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 AM

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I was just about ready to give up on this particular quilt, since it is huge and it's gonna take me forever to stitch around all the triangles.
mpeters1200...thanks for that suggestion. I've been trying to figure out how I could still hand quilt without doing every single triangle. I couldn't figure out anything I thought would look right. This might work!
Another question would be this...I used the Warm and Natural cotton batting from Joanns. I've never used a cotton batting before but thought that you had to make your quilting stitches closer to each other. If I only quilt around the (pinwheel) block, will it still be ok with that type batting?
If I could just get that part done, maybe I'd have the incentive then to go back and quilt a bit more in it, but right now the job just seems overwhelming!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 AM

I'm not as familiar with batting as you'd think. I used to get whatever was on sale and now I try to save for either bamboo or warm and natural. The advice I have regarding the quilting for the batting would be to look on the bag it comes in. Usually, it'll tell you if you need to quilt it every 4 inches, 6 inches, 8 inches, etc. Anymore, with such modern conveniences like FMQ and longarming, you don't need to quilt the daylights out of it.

I don't know what size your blocks are. If they are 12 inches, then going around the outer edge and the interior pinwheel should be sufficient. Again, I'd check the packaging on the batting for further info.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:19 AM

That is a lovely quilt.