Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter blades >

Rotary cutter blades

Rotary cutter blades

Old 02-06-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by maggiek
I bought mine from HF on line. Be careful that the round hole works for your cutter before you buy too many :-)
They are 45 mm. Edie - Same as Olfa
Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 AM

Whew, there for a minute I thought you were in Nebraska--grin
Went to harbor freight and picked up 35 packages to be put in retreat goodie bags for our local retreat. The gals who were with me picked up a couple packages each and I think there were only 5 packages left on the hook when we got done. The blades seem to be sharper than the actual cutter blades, although I have heard someone complain that one of the blades they got was chipped or had a flaw of some kind. Still a bargain at $1.99 for two. Checked blade at quilt shop and it was $8.50.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 AM

My HF only has them as an on line item. :-(
Old 02-06-2011, 07:05 AM

blades can be ordered online from harbor freight for people who don't have a store close by.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 AM

I buy them by bulk, and give them to my friends here on the site that cannot get to a store as easily.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:19 AM

I have bought H.F. blades and offered them to the members of this board. At least 20 people have received blades. Only one "bad mouth" in the group, claiming I opened the package and used them. Truth is, the packaging was not sealed securely, which was not my fault.

I have more blades and will continue to buy 10 at a time when I get to H.F. to check on them. In the future I will be selling them in sets of 5 for $10. plus postage. Smaller orders are just too time consuming. This last time I had 9 orders to keep track of plus wait for addresses etc.

I feel that offering the blades here is another way to Pay it Forward for those who do not have H.F. stores nearby!

I have used the same blade to cut scraps for 3 bed size quilts. I think they are excellent blades. Worn mats are hard on the blades, so clean you mat before you use them.

June in Cincinnati.....OHIO
Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
so then you believe that they are of the same quality as a new Olfa blade?

Has anyone used a HF blade for 2 years?

I looked into a professional sharpener, and I will just keep buying blades... :lol:
i have used several different brands of blade over the years. while i would never say anything against the Olfa brand - because they are just fine in my opinion - they are by no stretch of the imagination superior to anything else on the market. they are merely more expensive.
I have found only one brand that really does not hold up well at all...and another that is so over priced, I refused to buy the cutter...as for olfa being better or not, I just find that I can make them last longer than the others I have used...especially because I cut a lot of ultrasuede and it really can dull a blade quick...
So you mind if I ask what you use the ultrasuede for? Can a quilt be make out of it? We have a mill here with monthly sales where I can get great prices on ultrasuede, but I don't know what to do with it!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
blades can be ordered online from harbor freight for people who don't have a store close by.
I ordered online 10 packages about 3 months ago. I'm still using one from the first package I opened. Seems to still be pretty sharp. With tax and shipping it worked out to be $1.15 each blade. I figure even with using coupons at JoAnn's or waiting till they are on sale, I can save about $5.00 per blade.
Leaves more $$ for fabric.
~Shirley
Old 02-06-2011, 07:51 AM

I bet it was a class or something.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Anne P
I went to Harbor Freight today to get some new blades for my rotary cutters because they are getting dull. This is the first time I've been there for them, thanks to you on this board who have said they are cheaper there! Well, there was exactly one package left! The clerk said a woman came in a day or so ago and bought 40 packages and they had only that one left. Well, I'm glad there was one, because I needed them. I asked when they would get any more and he said in a week or two, so I guess I'll be back out there in a couple of weeks! I just wonder why anyone would need 40 packages - 2 in a package. Maybe she can't get there so had to get all she could. Does anyone else buy them in quantities like this?
What brand rotary cutter does these blades fit. They don't fit OFLA cutters
Barb