Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue? >

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by RST
Yup -- Cherry House -- but that's just one of several I've seen.

Not fussy cutting, not scrappy, not using a machine cutter.

But I'm all for building character in the future quilters of America, so rock on with their bad selves.

I just know that I could knock one of those quilt tops out from start to finish in less than 2 hours with strip piecing.

RST
Be sure and let us know your badge number, Officer RST. There's no right or wrong way in quilting, so feel free to do what works for you without public criticism of whatever way others choose.

Cherri House is an experienced quilter, pattern designer, and published author, not even close to the fool you make her out to be. If her method bothers you so much, why not ask her about it directly instead of talking about it behind her back?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 AM
RST

Geeze, chill out Ghostrider.

I did not call her a fool, nor did I set myself up as quilt police or master of all techniques. I asked a question, giving some possible scenarios for answers that occur to me, and asking if other had other insights. I did not call Cherry House out by name (it was in fact the particular quilt along that triggered my question, but it's a general trend, which is what I was asking about.)

There are no methods of quilting that "bother" me, though some do puzzle me, particularly when they are presented by people who set out to teach others.

Why so defensive? I find that surprising, specially since Walmart was not even mentioned in this thread.

RST
Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 AM
chq

Hello! I'm Cherri House of Cherry House Quilts, the author of City Quilts, and the designer of the quilt along that is being widely discussed. Is your question, why do my instructions called for all those 1 1/2" squares vs. strip piecing? Because many of the quilters doing this quilt along are creating their first quilt. I'm all for doing things faster/quicker, but there is nothing wrong with knowing and working on the fundamentals...perfecting your 1/4" seam allowance, working on accurate cutting skills. This quilt along is part of a skill building series that I will be hosting. If you want to participate, great! If it's all too elementary and you are not interested, great. Above everything else, I created this free quilt pattern and quilt along to provide a sense of community, and followship amongst quilters - old & new.

Cherri
Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
RST

Thanks for the input, Cherri, and for answering the question. I'm a fan of yours, and a sometimes blog reader, and honestly, my question implied no snark, nor was it specific to your quilt-along alone. I was querying about a wider trend I've seen online.

I'm all for building fundamental skills in new quilters. I also know that many, particularly new quilters, get frustrated with something that takes a long time, requires precision and ripping out, etc. The vast quantities of UFOs in the quilting world supports the assumption that this is a problem for many. So to my mind, knowing how to do something quickly and efficiently is a great gateway to many happy years of quilting.

Thanks for your contributions to community amongst quilters online. I do love the web and the ability to connect with such a wide range of people with similar interests.

RS
Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 AM

I would like to join a quilt along.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:50 AM

Could it possibly be that for some it is as much about the process. I know I am interested in making quilts using more of the techniques used by my grandmother.

My rotary cutter has not been my new best friend in most cutting scenarios. Most of my scraps were created by inaccurate rotary cutting. One of my coguild friends gave me some pointers last week when I was cutting strips for my new siggy blocks. I will give strip cutting another chance, but for now my rotary cutter is on my endangered species list. Don't get me wrong, it does have its uses once accurate strips are cut.

I really enjoy the process more than the speed.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 AM

That is how I was taught many years ago, and still do that if I'm looking for a design to stand out in the center, eg, did one with a cross for a pastor friend. Some of the popular TV shows show how to do things using their latest tools in ways I would never use because it's time consuming. But I know people who order every ruler and tool they see. That isn't for me.
Originally Posted by TERESA77510
Most likely it is because of the new Go Baby. They have a die cut that that is a part of. besides That is how I was taught . Way before the rotery cutter. (lol)!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 AM

Very good point, that many folks start out with scraps and not whole strips so pieces are all they have.

I am really learning to read pattern more carefully to see if cutting strips is possible instead of small blocks.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
Well, I hate strip piecing. I don't find it that much faster, and not as accurate. I can cut very quickly, and I prefer to do all of my cutting, then sewing, then pressing. I don't like changing stations any more than necessary, since I'm pressed for space, and have to put away and take out supplies each time. I guess I'm in the minority, here.
glad it works for you. I know about limited space and take out & put away too! happy quilting anyway.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 AM

Strip piecing does make things a lot easier