Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue? >

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 AM

I have not done strip piecing because it just does not appeal to me. Perhaps later after I do a few hand made ones. I do use a rotary cutterthough.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by isewcrooked
This is my first post on this board. It may be my last. This entire line of thinking disturbs me.
I sure hope that you continue posting. I really do see where you are coming from. I'm not one to pick on anybody but I do see where it comes off a little knit picky about the strip piecing, although I understand on the other hand that there are many people out there who are under a time constraint and efficiencey is really a concern for them. RST sounds like a very forward person and not all of us are so direct, so it can be a little unsettling if you're a sensitive soul like I am! ;)

Sometimes I enjoy strip piecing because I really want to bang something out in a short amount of time. But on the other hand I am not always quilting to be productive, some days I just want to relax, and the act of cutting and piecing is a stress reliever to me rather than a labor.

You know, just another thought here...sometimes when we learn the more difficult way to piece something, it gives us a better understanding of that block and makes the easier method even easier. I'm not sure if that applies to strip piecing...but for example making flying geese. There are many ways to make them, and I think trying several different ways is really beneficial. Not only do you learn how to efficiently make a goose block, you also learn techniques that you may never have discovered that will apply to other blocks. Just a thought. ;)
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM

you make a good point. IMO starting out by learning the shortcuts is not always a good thing. If you get the basics down you can figure out the best way to do it for you. what is the easiest way for me may not be for you. We all learn in different ways. some people need to see how things are done step by step in order to feel confident.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:07 PM
RST

Pumpkinpatchquilter -- I have to laugh at anyone perceiving me as "forward". However, I'm a vetran of online crafting boards (and other venues online), and it probably would be accurate to say that I'm not going to spend undue time worrying what people think of me, or my work. In other words, I can take it as well as I dish it. If a published, highly acclaimed, award winning quilter looked at a quilt I've posted and asked what the heck was I thinking when I did x y or z, I would have no issues with that.

Quilting has been historically a very democratic past time, one where women from all walks of life, all ages, and all areas share openly and generously, and not one of those hobbies where there are " big name" icons or demi-gods. Unlike, say, the scrapbooking industry. However, in the last year or so, I've noticed some, particularly in the modern quilt guilds, starting to fall into those camp following patterns, idolizing certain bloggers or fabric designers. The web allows for that, since via Flickr or yahoo or blogger, you can feel like you "know" your favorite quilt or fabric line designer. And while that is kind of cool, it also leads to, I don't know, an attitude of being threatend when a question or suggestion is made about doing things a different way.

I was at a modern quilt guild get together not long ago where one woman became almost rabid about having to press her seems open, because that's what her favorite blogger says to do. She couldn't wrap her mind around the idea that it's ok to press open or close, depending on your personal preference, or on the particular block. And because I almost always press seems together, I clearly was not a "modern" quilter.

Shrug.

Maybe I'm forward, since I don't care what she thinks ; )

RST
Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM

I didn't know how on my first quilt but I kwon about strip quilting now and would not consider any other way if strips are possible in the quilt I'm doing. I alxo notice that some of the paterns are made more difficult that they need to be. Shelllady
Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by RST
The particular quilt along that triggered my thoughts involves solid colors, in a very regular pattern, and would take less than 2 hours to piece if you strip pieced it.

Cutting out hundred of tiny squares -- yikes, I don't even want to think about the time.

This happens to be a very popular modern quilter, and she's doing her thing, so more power to her -- I'm not going to try to tell her how to do what she's tutoring the rest of the world on. But I have to wonder why make it harder than it has to be. I know for me, my accuracy is much better with strips too.

RST
I'm with you. I can look at a pattern and almost always come up with an easier construction method than the designer. To each his own.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

it is very hard to give an informed opinion unless you at least know the pattern being discussed. I took a class last year where every piece was marked with template and seams marked and sewed. My quilting improved as a result of it.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:49 PM

I find I'm more accurate if I cut the sqs first & then sew & press. Both methods are correct and they are also basically the same amount of work. It is a tad faster to sew the stratas together, but it takes longer to press them in order to not distort so overall you will find yourself spending very close to the same amount of time with either method because you still have to cut the stratas in to units. Judy Martin also prefers to cut sqs & then sew them. I saw her mention this yrs ago in her newsletter so I e-mailed her to thank her for saying that. The next month she quoted me in her newsletter. When I saw that I just about fell off my chair! LOL
Old 02-08-2011, 04:48 PM
RST

As promised to psychmomquilter: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-97977-1.htm

Since I was not setting out to photograph a tutorial or anything, I just took pics which I hope show the essentials of strip piecing (after the fact). Anyhow, it's not rocket science, nor is the technique lacking in documentation, so if you're interested in learning how to do it, I'm sure there is a wealth of youtube video out there, not to mention library books galore.

RST
Old 02-08-2011, 05:16 PM

I don't blog, too stupid to figure out how to do it. But, I really don't care to strip piece. It's boring to just cut mindlessly and sew strips and recut and sew again. You never get to see how the project is "working" (or not!) until you're done. I love to piece one block at a time so I can have the immediate gratification of having something to see for my efforts. Some things you have to cut and piece assembly-line fashion...like OBW or S&W...but they are so much like puzzles I can deal with it. JMHO