Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion >

Free motion

Free motion

Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 AM

One other lesson that I've learned is that it's easier to FMQ on the practice squares because you can move them around so easily. When it comes to your large quilt, think of it divided into 4 quadrants. Then start in the middle and work to the outside and bottom of each quadrant. You have to stop and move your quilt frequently because it drags against the edge of your table and machine. As soon as it becomes hard to move around while stitching, stop and re-adjust the quilt. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:48 AM

I have just very,very recently started to do FMQ. I watched hundreds of videos on YouTube and just decided to try it. I got the darning foot and had to use a darning plate as well. The very hardest part for me was gettin my tension right. Also get the machine quilting needles. Yep, there are needles especially for that. Keep your material moving and don't try to pull it too fast, your stitches will be really long. Above all it takes lot of practice and if you are like me lots of thinking about giving up. Keep on keepin on... Good Luck
ps... once you get started you will love it and time will fly by...
Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 AM

Along with all the other great advice, I find that using a Supreme Slider - a very thin mat that goes on the machine bed and allows the quilt to move more easily- is a huge help. I found it made a big difference.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I was glad to see somebody finally mentioned the right needle! Depending on what you are quilting on...and the thread...you MUST have the correct needle. I found when first beginning, I got some fabric with large prints and practiced following the lines. It gets you used to watching where you are going...not where you are right now. Thats a big key...don't look at your needle, look at where you are going next.

Drop your shoulders to relax. When you feel them tensing up..make an effort to breath and drop them again (take a huge gulp of wine)...then off you go again! Have fun!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ladyslipper
What is a darting attachment? That is something I have never heard about. Maybe that (and the wine idea) is what I have been doing wrong.
I'm guessing it's a typo for darning, probably so excited to start that she couldn't type, lol
Old 02-11-2011, 06:20 AM

oh my gosh, I am so excited to begin free motion, after reading all the hints you gals have given. I want to say thank you - I am really enjoying all of you
Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 AM

Make sure to sit up a little higher so you can see what you are doing better. Add a pillow or two to your chair.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 AM

I can't say enough for the Supreme Slider, I had tried free motion off & on for years, just couldn't get the hang of it, then I used the Supreme slider-it was wonderful & helped my brain & hands get the idea to work together. I used it until I actually wore it out then discovered I didn't need it anymore, I had finally caught on. Now I love free motion & do all my quilts with free motion.
Another big tip that came from a sewing machine tech is to use a Stretch Needle, meant to use on knits but can be used on any fabric, the Stretch needles have a longer scarf & help prevent skipped stitches, I consider it a miracle needle.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 AM

I watched these viedos for hours one after another. Gee Wiz one was better then the other every one needs to go here and watch a couple of them and they are done beatifully
Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 AM

When you decide you are really going to like
fmq get more things for your machine to improve the quality. A bobbin case with lighter tension is the first thing I would get. Or buy another bobbin case and just slightly loosen the tension. Using a single hole needle plate also helps keep the thread from sloping around so it cuts corners on the back. Check with your dealer to see what is available for your machine. And relax and have fun. I found out on my first venture that not holding your breath helps also. Keeps you from getting a raging headache