Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion is more like limited motion! >

Free motion is more like limited motion!

Free motion is more like limited motion!

Old 12-27-2013, 05:14 PM

Default Free motion is more like limited motion!

After weeks of trying different thread-different bobbins - different tension. Bobbin washers...and rethreading and rethreading today I spent most of my day (shhhh don't tell) at work looking at Leah Day's blog. I read that sometimes machines just don't like things. I think this is what is happening to me - but I really want to think I can fix it. I love my machine. I know it would not be sassy for no reason!

When free motion quilting I can move the fabric front to back with no problem. If I go back to front (the opposite of a normal piecing motion) the thread frays with in 4-6 inches of quilting. I tried it over and over same thing.

Is that even possible? Or am I maybe doing something different? Feed dogs are down. Stitch length is as low as it goes at .8. Should I cover the dogs?
Old 12-27-2013, 05:28 PM

Feed dogs are covered with tape...I was hopeful...but not lucky...same problem.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:38 PM

how about different sized or brand needles? the needles create a lot of friction against the thread and sometimes the size of the needle makes a difference.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:40 PM

I tried that. Was using an 80/12 and went to a 90/14 and it is a topstitch needle......good suggestion though!
Old 12-27-2013, 05:49 PM

What about the glider sheet and videos on u tube? Both have helped me.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

​Do you have the zig zag hole plate on the machine or the single hole? If it is the single hole, I am thinking the needle is getting to close to the plate and fraying?
Old 12-27-2013, 05:59 PM

Not the needle hitting the plate - checked that

No glider because it sits on top of a desk - not level. But I do have an extension table so I have plenty of room. I am working on little 8x8 squares...just to practice.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by cminor View Post
After weeks of trying different thread-different bobbins - different tension. Bobbin washers...and rethreading and rethreading today I spent most of my day (shhhh don't tell) at work looking at Leah Day's blog. I read that sometimes machines just don't like things. I think this is what is happening to me - but I really want to think I can fix it. I love my machine. I know it would not be sassy for no reason!

When free motion quilting I can move the fabric front to back with no problem. If I go back to front (the opposite of a normal piecing motion) the thread frays with in 4-6 inches of quilting. I tried it over and over same thing.

Is that even possible? Or am I maybe doing something different? Feed dogs are down. Stitch length is as low as it goes at .8. Should I cover the dogs?
I use size 16 needles. Try FM on felt! Get a lot of practice with that. it is helpful!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

Use a pair of old pantyhose and run it all around inside the bobbin and case. Do the same under and around the plate and along the thread route. If the pantyhose catch anywhere, you will know you have a rough spot. I think the repairmen have a special cloth for polishing out burrs?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:48 PM

I had same problem and I discovered that using a Topstitch needle and Sulky 100% Viscose thread works great. You can but both at JoAnn's. Good Luck.