Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seating b locks.... >

Seating b locks....

Seating b locks....

Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 AM

I feel kind of stupid as I never knew you use a walking
foot when sewing seams together.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 AM

I use glue. I found a video by Sharon Schamber where she uses washable white glue when she does her bindings. I've discovered it works really well for sewing blocks and matching seams as well. Now I buy a bottle of the stuff every time I find it on sale 'cause I use it so much :)
Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker
what are folk-pins? I have to use safety pins due to termors also use large coated paper clips.
Fork pins. They are shaped like old-fashioned hair pins, with two prongs. Here's a photo of some:
http://www.amazon.com/Fork-Pins-35-P...dp/B002LMVF68/
Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Glue baste the joins instead of pinning the joins. I do this at the ironing board. Align the seams as you want them, then put the tiniest dot of glue inside the seamline and press with the hot iron. I use Elmer's washable white glue. The glue washes out later or, if you need to open up the seam, comes apart if moistened with a drop of water from your fingertip.

Note: It is still a good idea to pin an inch or so before each seam. You can take the pins out as you get to them so you don't sew over them. This helps ensure that you don't have excess fabric on top or bottom when you get to the glue-basted seam.
This is a GREAT idea! I love it. I've always pined the joins and sewed as close as I dared to, some times actually going over the pins by accident, and sighing a sigh of relief that I didn't break a needle. Since I am PP right now, there are plenty of places where matching is a must. From now on I will glue theses places. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Zebra2
Try pressing the seam together BEFORE you stitch it. Make sure the seams at the joints are pressed the opposite direction and 'lock' together.
Great advice! I can't wait to try it out.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the Fork pin information they look like I may be able to use those with out leaving my DNA on everything I sew. just ordered 2 packs of them, if I can't use them some other quilter I know may want to try.
:thumbup:
Old 02-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Some great suggestions here. Thanks to all of you for the answers and to Mariah for asking.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:50 PM

I love my walking foot. It really helps keeping everything matched up. I bought it last year for $176 and it was well worth it. Used tax return money.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker
Thanks for the Fork pin information they look like I may be able to use those with out leaving my DNA on everything I sew. just ordered 2 packs of them, if I can't use them some other quilter I know may want to try.
:thumbup:
you will love the fork pins. I put a regular pin perpendicular at the point thru all the layers and then put the fork pin in and remove the regular. really holds all those layers in place and keeps the point just where you want it. takes a bit of getting used to, but sure do work well.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:36 PM

I sew over the pins. I slow it down just before I get to the pins. I very rarely hit a pin.