Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seating b locks.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seating-b-locks-t99060.html)

Mariah 02-12-2011 09:35 AM

I realize this is a basic quilting question,but one I continue to have trouble with. When I sew rows of blocks together, I pin the joints and everything looks perfect. Then I tend to take out the pins as running over can cause broken needles.
Can anyone suggest how to get your blocks lined up perfectly at the joints without so much back tracking; fixing blocks that moved.
Thanks, Mariah.

nativetexan 02-12-2011 09:39 AM

stitch length? too short maybe. do you have a walking foot/quilting foot? that helps move the fabrics along together better.
sometimes i piece at 2.2 and have no problems. maybe you need to do 2.4.
holding the fabrics with your fingers close to the foot as it moves along helps too. especially after you remove pins.

Mariah 02-12-2011 09:51 AM

thanks for your answer. I believe the stitch got too short. I was using this new gadget that makes snowballs, geese, ect, for the first time, and didn't notice the stitch got so short until I was taking some out.
I need to get a walking foot. I know it would be a great investment. Believe for my featherweight it would be $125.00. I know it would solve a lot of problems.
Thanks again!
Mariah.

Zebra2 02-12-2011 09:52 AM

Try pressing the seam together BEFORE you stitch it. Make sure the seams at the joints are pressed the opposite direction and 'lock' together.

sewwhat85 02-12-2011 09:53 AM

also helps if the seams go in opposite directions so that top one goes up and bottom one goes down and that helps them to stay lined up

Prism99 02-12-2011 09:54 AM

Glue baste the joins instead of pinning the joins. I do this at the ironing board. Align the seams as you want them, then put the tiniest dot of glue inside the seamline and press with the hot iron. I use Elmer's washable white glue. The glue washes out later or, if you need to open up the seam, comes apart if moistened with a drop of water from your fingertip.

Note: It is still a good idea to pin an inch or so before each seam. You can take the pins out as you get to them so you don't sew over them. This helps ensure that you don't have excess fabric on top or bottom when you get to the glue-basted seam.

Dani 02-12-2011 10:04 AM

I place pins perpendicular to the edge of the fabric on either side of the existing seam (catching the seam allowance on the one side) but not into the seam line being stitched. Then you will not sew over the pins. This helps me.

Jan in VA 02-12-2011 10:04 AM

I pin just before the join at each intersection; I also use a stilletto to support/guide/direct my fabric under the needle, especially when the seam is pressed the 'wrong' direction for that intersection.

On particularly troublesome pieces -- some fabric just plain has a stretchy mind of its own -- I might make 4-5 stitches exactly over the joins and then go back and sew the whole piece.
Jan in VA

Mariah 02-12-2011 10:30 AM

Wonderful suggestions! I would not have thought of using the glue. I keep Elmer's Glue-washable for other things, so we always have it.
Seems like there are always "tricks" to these problems!
Thanks so00000000000000 much!
Mariah.

DeneK 02-12-2011 11:12 AM

I am going to try that glue thing... I just got an applicator so I can put those small drops in the seam but I haven't had anything to try it out on yet.