Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue? >

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Do they just not know how, or is it some other issue?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:49 AM

Interesting thread
Old 02-12-2011, 10:33 AM

I just came up with another reason not to strip piece ... for the effect.

Some patterns can look pretty cool with individual squares rather than long strips of the same color - just depending on the pattern. I just designed a new quilt myself and decided to do individual squares rather than strip piece. It's a process - a journey that's just more fun for me.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:53 AM

But a strip pieced quilt doesn't have to have long strips of the same color...
Old 02-12-2011, 11:45 AM
RST

Love bug -- as Gale says -- strip piecing does not result in a quilt with long strips of color. Yeah. I'm not a fan of those (though occasionally that can be a nice look, depending on the fabrics).

I'm not convinced that you and I have the some idea in mind when we use the term strip piecing.

RST
Old 02-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Small squares yikes!!! I'll strip any day :P
Old 02-13-2011, 08:50 AM

Well i cut 2 Inch squares by hand and sew all the 2 inch squares together one by one ,,,my scrappy quilt tops take time but i love doing them this way as it does make me feel i have totally made this item by hand and no machines are involved
Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by isewcrooked
This is my first post on this board. It may be my last. This entire line of thinking disturbs me. Because I am a relatively new quilter, I enjoy every tidbit of information that I can find on the web in terms of instruction and ideas. I've been participating in quilt a longs because they help me step outside my comfort zone. Do I like every block? No. But I would never, ever, be critical of someone who took the time to put it together for the rest of us. I'm sincerely grateful to every blogger who makes the effort to share with the rest of us.

I've discovered techniques that work and some that don't. That's okay. There may be easier ways to do something, but at least I'm doing something! Not all of us were born with fully formed quilts in our heads... Some of us still need the beginner instructions (and may always need those instructions). What seems simple to some can be complex to others.

Thank you to all who make/take the time to do the quilt a longs. I'm so proud of myself whenever I finish a block that I might not have otherwise attempted. It may not be perfect, but I did it! I need the detailed instruction and the practice - and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I've only been quilting for about 4 years, so I'm relatively new to it. But I've been surrounded by it my entire life. My mother taught me and is still teaching me. She has been quilting for 48 years and still is.Mom has always told me that to never let someone tell me that the way I'm making a quilt is the wrong way because it is my quilt. I read all of the posts first and then came back to yours. Mom was a member of this board for quite a while and then quit suddenly for personal reasons but won't tell me why. If the posts on this topic are an example then I don't have to ask her anymore. Please don't leave,I'd like to know I have a friend on here who doesn't put down other quilters.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by RST
Pumpkinpatchquilter -- you're making very nice strides in being forward yourself. But in my world, that doesn't equate to rude, nasty, or proud.

I don't have time to respond to all your points, but I can tell you another hobby/industry in which there has historically been that kind of interaction with the "big names" -- that would be scrapbooking. And it got pretty silly over time. I personally think it would be nice if quilting didn't go down that road, but shrug, what will be, will be.

My rabid fellow quilter actually approached me at the ironing board, not vice versa -- I have eyes only for my own pressing. Just want to help you adjust your vision of how that exchange went down.

Have a nice day.
RST
I am new to this quilting board but not new to quilting. My mom has been quilting for 48 years and is still quilting and running her own quilt shop. She would never criticise another quilter or quilter's techniques the way you have.She would have more respect for her fellow quilter.That said, we would never criticise your technique.Every quilter has their way and their own talent.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by RST
An informed choice is one thing -- the experienced quilter who has tried several ways, and has found what they like, knows what floats their boat, and makes a choice based on their preferences -- that, I will never argue with.

But not even knowing that there might be a faster or easier way to do something, and not having the intellectual curiosity to at least consider what the benefits might be to another method -- that does puzzle me.

I think that in some cases (not saying anyone in particular) there are people gifted in design and graphics who have made their way into the world of quilting, either via paper arts or computer graphics or fabric design. They make quilts. People like their quilts because they are graphically gifted, and their style feels current and fresh. But they do not necessarily come into quilting with a lot of technical knowledge or depth of methodology. So when they write patterns or teach or do tutorials, they are not necessarily giving the most considered or well plotted approach.

All this is theory on my part. And as I said, I attach no names to any of this. And I appreciate the "new" quilters and the modern look, and the energy and enthusiasm.

And, back to first post -- I find myself wondering if they don't know any different way, or if it's a conscious decision, because they find it relaxing to cut out 495 1.5 inch square accurately. ; )

RST
I have been quilting for over 2 years and i do know how to quilt in different ways but i chose to cut squares individually and sew one by one and that to me is not BORING it is my choice of quilting
Old 02-13-2011, 01:09 PM

As for choosing to do things the hard or easy way...when I was a newlywed learning to cook, I wanted to do everything the "old-fashioned" way, or from scratch. I thought that made it better. Now, I do things according to my time constraints or my mood. Sometimes I bake a cake from scratch, sometimes I use a mix. i remember asking my grandmother how she made cornbread, and being a little disappointed when she told me, "honey, get you a package of martha white cornbread mix!" . So.. strip-piecing sometimes, sewing squares sometimes... whatever! The end result is a quilt I made myself! :D