Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
why has this winter seemed so long and so cold >

why has this winter seemed so long and so cold

why has this winter seemed so long and so cold

Old 02-14-2011, 03:31 AM

It's not quite 6:30am and the thermometer says 42. I think I may sit on the sun porch a little while today. It has been an especially long winter for me. I spent 3 days in the hospital with pneumonia last month and am back on antibiotics and prednisone for bronchitis this month. YUCK! I am sooo ready for spring!!!!

Did I mention that prednisone can make me a little grumpy?;)
Old 02-14-2011, 03:34 AM

Am I tired of have'n 3 feet of snow in my yard? Yuppers! I remember as a kid EVERY winter was like this...
Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 AM

I agree, it has been a harsh winter all over the country. In Monroe, NH right now the temp is 24-above zero and I'm almost giddy with the warmth, since our temps have been running between 10-above to 30-below. The best thing is daylight is pushing her way in so today we actually see daylight for 10 hours and 29 minutes (2minutes, 43 seconds longer than yesterday).... and this is only going to continue to increase... whoopie!! That means more sun, more warmth, more smiles!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:07 AM

This has been a really harsh winter here in Minnesota. We are anticipating flooding throughout the state to St. Paul and Minneapolis and we Minneapolitans and St. Paulites know what the floods are like here. If we can have some warm weather to slowly melt the snow it may stop the flooding, but as it looks right now, we are going to have a full week of weather in the 40's, which is unusual in February. There were people out running in shorts - We call the color of their legs Minnesota White. The most emaciating color in the world. Our roof cleared off yesterday with the sun so high and warm. Today, I am going to shovel snow into the alley to protect our driveway wall - I do that every year. By 4:00 PM, it will all be melted in the alley. But the melting and freezing is all a harbinger of Spring! And we can't wait for that. I let the dog on the porch yesterday and she jumped up on the couch and looked out the window and watched the world go by. She was in her glory. It is kind of an itchy time isn't it. You know that it is almost over. Another month and 1/2. This time, if you think about it, has gone fast. I am sending away for some flower seeds this week.

Oh, yah, we have high school tournaments in March - Wrestling, Basketball (boys and girls) and Hockey (boys and girls) and there is always a storm during one of the tourneys. Another harbinger of Spring. We don't go by February, March and April, we go by Super Bowl, high school tournaments and who saw the first dandelion!!!!!!! Or fly!!!!!

Think Spring, everybody - it is around the corner, trying awfully hard to get here. Edie
Old 02-14-2011, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

LOL, here Groundhogs Daygot snowed out. Not sure thats a good sign. I cant wait for Spring!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
it just seems like its been worse than any other year or maybe my memory is short. My husband says I start complaining about the cold in August and it last till June so maybe that's why I just hate being cold BUT TODAY ITS 40 DEGREES
Because it is. Toooooooooooooo Longgggggggggggg

I, too, am tired of snow, cold, being inside, etc., etc., etc. When is Spring?, 7 more weeks.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 AM

This winter hasn't really been that long here, but brutally cold and lots of snow. HOWEVER, LAST year was the one that really got to us, here in Missouri. It started in October 2009 and didn't let up until after March 2010! That was 6 months of winter! Half a year~! Geez! Spring was slow coming in and summer seemed very short. Maybe that's why winter seems so long this year. Ours wasn't that unbearable until after the first of the year; then WOW. We are now getting a reprieve with temps in the 50's and possibly a day of 70! Yea! Like everyone else, we are ready for spring. We know we will have some more wintery days but they are getting fewer now. That's reason for a "happy dance". :)
Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Yeah, cabin fever for me and the furbabies. It has been a cold hard winter. Can't wait for Spring.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:45 AM

Even in Texas we are tired of winter...seems to have been our worse in a very long time. Can't wait for shorts and t-shirt weather to return!! I can't imagine how you folks in the really cold country have managed. The snow pictures have been awesome!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 AM

We, too, haven't had many days above freezing.

If it's over 32F I feel like I'm living in Miami Beach.