A "Nattyism"

Old 02-14-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jo M
Aren't they cute? My son called bulldozers, "bull-overs" and my daughter was trying to tell us that she was a grown up, called herself a "grown-duck." Needless to say, we still use those little "pearls" in the family. :)
My son called them bullnozers and the dental hygenist the hygentilest. She was, indeed, very gentle with the kids.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:58 AM

I also love to listen to little kids and how they talk. They are also the most honest people around also. They sometimes can sure make a parents face as red as can be. We had a baby that did not digest his food (because of serious health issues) and he was always gasy and had liquid stools all the time. Sometimes he would have what my husband called a "liquid fart". So our older two sons grew up hearing this all the time. One time we are in the doctors office and a elderly man passed gas, and our oldest son (4 at the time) goes up to him and asked him if he just had a liquid fart? This same child, at age 3... came with me to the airport to drop my mother and her sister off for a trip to California, and we stayed to watch their plane take off and when he saw that he was so excited. It was dead silence in the airport restaurant (very small airport in WI), and it was us and 5 other people... my son at the top of his lungs..hollers out... HOLY BALLS.. 4 of the people laughed until they had tears..one very proper English woman, was totally shocked.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
My daughter would say yesternight instead of last night, no matter how much I tried to change it, and one son always said peanuts instead of penis. Little ones say the cutest words, and I bet we are going to hear a bunch with this post. Looking forward to what others share.
My grandangel would always say "the last day" instead of yesterday and would ask for a bed-night story!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:27 AM

My brother always called a quarter a corner. My son could not say his tr's they were always f's, not a concern until we were at the parade with his great grandmother and all the fire trucks went by. My daughter had problems with l's and said y's instead, so you had cold yips and wore yipstick. My Stepson called ceiling fans, fannywoo, my granddaughter called hotdogs hot ducks, and I have a nephew who called the vacuum cleaner a trac treaner. All words that have lovingly been incorporated into our everyday lives. Except for Michaels fire trucks. Oh yeah and lasanga (sp) is called fusnana.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 AM

I have 8 year younger twin brothers, were preemies & identical. they had their own lingo for the first 3-4 years, some of it we never did decipher, but they knew what each was saying....yi-yol..(yellow)for banana....when looking for his brother it was always .. patting chest saying "two-two" .. I know there were years of their lingo but by the time we learned some of it they were speaking grown-up....but these were the ones that always stayed with me. Hard to realize those itty-bitty babies will be 59 this year.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 AM

How cute. DS "nonie" for macaroni. DD "gita" for airplane; "Rufie" for Ruthie (her grandmother). I'm sure there were others, they're all grown up now.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
My daughter would say yesternight instead of last night, no matter how much I tried to change it, and one son always said peanuts instead of penis. Little ones say the cutest words, and I bet we are going to hear a bunch with this post. Looking forward to what others share.
my daughter would say cycle motor and papertoilet :lol:
Old 02-14-2011, 09:32 AM

hamberger was ham-bigger. Drawer was jor. Shredded Wheat was fwed. We still call it fwed--20 years later.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Here's a few for ya:

1. When DS#1 was little (about 3 or 4) he told me he wanted to go into the backyard to see the "queer" again. My DSIL's X was in the backyard and I was mortified to think he was calling the guy that name. I asked him to repeat what he said and he said, "The queer...you know up on the wire". He'd seen a SQUIRREL and got the name mixes up.

2. We call our 3 yr old granddaughter "Scooter" sometimes cuz she scooted when she was a baby. We were teasing her one afternoon and her older sister (5 yrs old) wanted to get in on the teasing but couldn't remember "Scooter" so she called her...ready for it???..."Skateboard"...too funny.

3. The 3 yr old loves copying the 5 yr old. Sends the 5 yr old through the roof! She's always yelling...Nana! Mia is coffeeing me!!! I've tried and tried to get that one corrected but she just doesn't seem to hear the difference yet.

4. Other 5 yr old granddaughter came into our life last year when oldest DS got engaged. My name is Diannia (pronounced Diana) and the kids call me Nana...well DGD calls me Nana Fadana. She can say Nana and Diannia seperately but not together. Too cute to correct on that one!

5. One last one for ya...my DB called 7-up Whiskey Pop cuz my dad taught it to him when he was really little. Embarrassed my mom to death when he yelled it out "Mom I want me some Whiskey pop" at the store 1 day. She gave my dad a big chewing out that night!

Diannia
Old 02-14-2011, 11:04 AM

Ok I lied here's the last one...really!

5 yr old granddaughter says it's night night time (for bedtime) and wakeup night night time (for morning).

Diannia