Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread >

thread

thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by EIQuilter
Interesting info on Coats & Clark. I've used their dual duty thread in my Viking within the past year (not for anything quilt-related, but for other sewing) and have had no problem with it at all. Or is it the quilting thread that's the problem?
I was talking about hand-quilting thread-not the regular dual duty.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Originally Posted by EIQuilter
Interesting info on Coats & Clark. I've used their dual duty thread in my Viking within the past year (not for anything quilt-related, but for other sewing) and have had no problem with it at all. Or is it the quilting thread that's the problem?
I was talking about hand-quilting thread-not the regular dual duty.
Oops! I see that now. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:03 PM

I don't know about their hand quilting thread,...the reason it came up is because I took some sewing on a visit to her house recently and she indicated that I was NOT going to put "that" in her machine :-)
Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM

Aurifil, King Tut, and Gutermann here.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Hand quilting thread is not supposed to go in a machine. The glaze can damage the machine somehow. Even if it doesn't say " hand" quilting, you can tell it's glazed by the wiry-ness of it. I've been a hand quilter all this time and have a big collection of hand quilting thread-C&C, DMC, Mettler. I'm hoping to become proficient at machine quilting, so I've bought King Tut and Aurifil in 28 and 40 wts. I used to use C&C, Gutermann, and Mettler for piecing, but I've recently change to Aurifil 50wt and Masterpiece. I usually use whatever matches and blends for hand appliqué, but I ordered a pack of Superior BOBs to try. I'm hoping the Aurifil works for that too, because I ordered a LOT from Tristan Threads Aurifil clearance (thx to a tip from Candace from Elk Grove CA on this board). The Aurifil is FAR less linty than anything I had used before.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Banned

I really like So Fine to machine quilt with. It comes in a lot of colors and it is a little finer than cotton thread and I just like the way the quilting looks with it. For hand quilting I use a glazed thread made for hand quilting. I do piecing with cotton usually, but I also use So Fine.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
Hand quilting thread is not supposed to go in a machine. The glaze can damage the machine somehow. Even if it doesn't say " hand" quilting, you can tell it's glazed by the wiry-ness of it. I've been a hand quilter all this time and have a big collection of hand quilting thread-C&C, DMC, Mettler. I'm hoping to become proficient at machine quilting, so I've bought King Tut and Aurifil in 28 and 40 wts. I used to use C&C, Gutermann, and Mettler for piecing, but I've recently change to Aurifil 50wt and Masterpiece. I usually use whatever matches and blends for hand appliqué, but I ordered a pack of Superior BOBs to try. I'm hoping the Aurifil works for that too, because I ordered a LOT from Tristan Threads Aurifil clearance (thx to a tip from Candace from Elk Grove CA on this board). The Aurifil is FAR less linty than anything I had used before.
Thanks for the info on Aurifil. I know hand quilting thread doesn't go into a machine, but I am gathering that C&C is downgrading all of their thread, including what I was referring to--all purpose. It's too bad because for a lot of people that's all they can afford, and in some very rural areas it's all they have easy access to.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I mostly hand-quilt-I use Gutermann's-having said that, I recently bought Coats & Clarks-it was 50% off and had just the right color for a quilt i'm doing, and I HATE it!! It starts to frey about 1/2 way down the piece. I have changed needles and tried knotting it the other direction, but nothing is helping. I am using the same needles I always do (John James) and the batting I have used numerous times, and it has never happened with my Gutermann's. Guess this is the last quilt I will use C & C's hand-quilting thread! I also like Aurofil and Gutermann's for machine piecing, and hand-sewing. I LOVE silk thread for invisible applique by hand, and will use my CC's for mostly basting.
I also dislike Coats&Clark for hand quilting :thumbdown:
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 PM

I have used Gutermann's and recently got some egyptian cotton long staple from Connecting Threads. Nice colors, little lint and my machine likes it. Going to try a cone size and see if it does well in the long run.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 AM

I use Coats and Clarks for most of my sewing and hand quilting. I love their hand quilting thread. I always buy it when it is half off.