Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first guilt meeting last night >

first guilt meeting last night

first guilt meeting last night

Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 AM

Don't feel bad I have been to two churches out of eight ( searching for a new church home) and was not greeted not even by the pastor. Keep in mind I don't blend in as I'm a vivid red head. Needless to say they were not on the return for second visit list.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 AM

I know what you mean. I went to a quilt show put on by our local guild and was recruited to join. I went to their website to check on the location and it was different than what was mentioned in the newsletter that I picked up at the show. I sent an email to the president 2 weeks ago to find out where the meeting was and didn't get an answer. So I guess they aren't so anxious to have new members after all.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:38 AM

My guild meeting was also last night and we had a block buster turn out since Edyta Sitar was the speaker and I am taking a workshop from her today...(that's an aside, my how I do ramble!) Anyway, our membership committee sits at the entrance door to sign everyone in and greet newcomers and sign up new members. Then, during the business meeting, she comes to the front, has guests stand and introduce themselves and say where they are from. That way, everyone knows who the guests are and that they need to be greeted.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:08 AM

Go again, and if possible have a show and tell item, most guilds have a show and tell time. And just smile--its amazing what a smile will do. Speak to the person next to you, ask a question when it doesn't interrupt a guest presentation. Most quilters will respond if given the chance. Sometimes they are insecure with new people too.
In our guild we have a "greeter" who has been a member for a while so she knows the regulars (if not by name by face) she will take a newcomer and introduce her to one or two people so it usually makes things go easier. Hope you find some great quilt friends through the guild, also be sure to take in any quilt show in your area. Its amazing what you see at a quilt show. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 AM

I usually follow the three strikes rule unless someone is extremely rude to me.

A guest speaker probably had everyone excited and chatting with their favorite quilting buddy.

Peggy
Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 AM

I had the same experience & did not enjoy the time at all. It has sort of put me off joining a guild.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 AM

This is what I did in Jan. I emailed the president and told her I was interested in coming to a meeting. She sent me the details and told me to be sure to introduce myself. I did, and volunteered for the upcoming quilt show. Then I went to the local bee. If you just tell people who you are, they usually will go out of their way to talk to you. Try again!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I went to my first guild meeting last night, Marcie Baker from Alicia's Attic (Colorado) was guest speaker. Since I have never been to a class or guild meeting before, or to a quilt show for that matter, I really enjoyed it. I only wish I had more money with me-I would have loved to buy a couple of the tools/notions she had! Anyway, there must have been about 100 people there! I didn't meet anyone, unfortunately. I sort of felt invisible, and I'm a bit shy, so I find it hard to introduce myself. Anyway, I tried! It would be nice if guild members were a little more conscience of new people attending, to try and make them feel welcome. I'm glad I only paid as a guest for the night.
This was exactly my experience in my former guild. I attended every meeting for six months and was barely spoken to even though i had volunteered to do publicity and brought snacks, participated in show and tell, etc. When I complained anonymously on a public forum, not mentioning the guild by name, someone recognized me and THAT got their attention--and not in a good way. We parted company after that. (They denied my complaints, saying it wasn't true, but they sure recognized themselves easily enough!)

I'm sorry it happened because I enjoyed everything else about the guild. The people were the only fly in the ointment. There are other guilds in my area, but I've been shy about trying again. Once bitten . . .
Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 AM

I see this come up often when folks go to a new guild, I am shy and no one made it a point to talk to me. Is it possible you sat next to a shy person and they felt the same. You can't fault the guild for not knowing that you shy. Maybe they think you are being unfriendly just like you say they are.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 AM

I know how you feel. I joined a large guild of over 200 people and attended about six times and in all that time probably only a few people spoke to me. I am also a quiet person and attempted to initiate a conversation on a few occasions, but find it difficult when I don't know someone. With such a large guild it was impossible to find the person I last spoke to the next time I went so there was never a point where I was getting to know someone better.

I may try another smaller (more personable) guild in the near future though now that I am retired.