Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
OMG - What is with the Post Office lately >

OMG - What is with the Post Office lately

OMG - What is with the Post Office lately

Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 AM

I'm going to watch this thread - I've seen flat rate priority mail envelope tv commercials, even this morning! I've heard some are having problems and some aren't with filling the flat rate envelopes full - I've heard others say the PO won't take them if they are over 3/4" high..

I ordered the new bubble flat rate envelope mailers - I heard you can stuff those full - no matter how thick.. I also have ordered the new priority regional flat rate boxes - I haven't researched these rates yet - flat rate envelopes are the size I use the most.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 AM

i know what yuou mean the PO is geting bad i mailed a package Jan 10 i paid extra for it to be there on a certain day , that day came and went finally i called and had it tracked it has been all over the states and now was in NC it already went thru Va(was to be final destination) and was on its way back to Ill because they said they couldnt tell if the apt number was 43 or 42 !!!! but they all get left at the apt complex at the office !!so it came back and i mailed it out again for another 15.oo to make sure it got there a week and 1/2 ago and guess what it still isnt there! i called the post office and they said wait a bit i might show up there or back at my house !! so i spent 30.00 for this package to go on a trip all thru the state and not get to where it is to be yet!! its sad they can raise there prices but not the service
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Hmmmm... right now I have a package "somewhere" out there that is supposedly on its way to Australia. But first it went to Chicago, then Canadian Customs, then back to the US (New Jersey this time) and then left the US again. Go figure! I sure hope it gets delivered right this time!

Detailed Results:

International Dispatch, February 09, 2011, 7:30 am, FOREIGN CENTERJERSEY CITY NJ 099
Arrival
Processed through Sort Facility, February 08, 2011, 8:27 am, KEARNY, NJ 07032
Into Foreign Customs, January 27, 2011, 3:55 pm, CANADA
Arrived Abroad, January 27, 2011, 3:55 pm, CANADA
International Dispatch, January 23, 2011, 2:50 pm, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Arrival
Acceptance, January 21, 2011, 12:31 pm, ORCHARD PARK, NY 14127
Shipment Accepted, January 21, 2011, 12:30 pm, ORCHARD PARK, NY 14127
Electronic Shipping Info Received, January 20, 2011
Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM

I was at the PO this morning and boy did I get a run around as well as being told that the PO is running with a 8 million dollar deficit and it is my fault because I used the machine they have and I put in a large envelope which they say is a package. The PO attendant and I had a few choice words.

I told him that I have been mailing a "large envelop" this way for several months and do not understand that now it is a package. That is when he told me that is why the PO is running at a deficit because people are allowed to put their own postage on. I told him that I did not put the machine there and that if they had more efficient help, this service would not be necessary. He said that I could read in the paper about the PO running at such a large deficit. I asked him who gave the paper the information?

Sure wish we had another choice. This is one of the reasons that I am no longer participating in the monthly Doll Quilt any more. Just not worth the hastle with the PO
Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 AM

We had considerable trouble with our post office. Example, sending our mail back to an old address that we had had our mail forwarded to before we moved here full time. Took 6 weeks and me going in to the postmaster's office before it got cleared up. Also, they were holding our mail, apparently messing our address up with someone's address that had gone on vacation. That happened 3 times in one year. My next step would have been going even higher than him. I suggest any of you that have these problems, to take the issue to the postmaster.

Also - for the person that said they 'close at 4:30'. It's just like banks in the old days. They accept cash, checks, money orders, etc, and need to clear out their till before their day ends. Give them a break on that. It's not like the hours aren't posted!!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 AM

I use first class and priority flat rate. I still pack the flat rate full and am now using a lot of the padded and legal size envelopes. To save on tape I order the priority labels on a roll and put them all around the tops and seams of envelopes. Do all the printing online and drop them in the box at the post office. Never had one returned. Have had a couple of first class get lost.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:03 PM

I had a problem today when I went to mail my 2nd round robin to Australia. Last week I mailed my initial round in a brown manila envelope and it cost me $2.08. I purchased a cardboard envelope to send my next round in and when I went to mail my 2nd round envelope today it was over $5 and because it was a cardboard envelope instead of a paper envelope, I also had to fill out a customs tag to attach to it. Well, I learned my lesson. It will be a paper envelope from now on for sure!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM

I've always had to use the 5 sheet customs. 1 is my copy. I mail care packages. Wouldn't be allowed to do it without the 4 piece. The copies fit nicely in the clear sticky-backed envelope made just for them.

You can order all supplies online and have them delivered to your home. I also do home pickup with the packages hidden in a planter box. I fill out the customs forms by hand as I had several problems with the online form a few years back.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Here is a good one for you.
We recieved a letter Friday that wasn't for us. The ONLY thing the same on the address was our house number 2345, street name and last name no where near the same. ( Plus these folks live about 15 miles from us. After 15 years, I know right where they live and have spoke to them on the phone !!!)
Now on the the rest of the story...So Saturday I take the letter to another post office and send it back to these folks, with written on letter "delivered to wrong address". WELL, Monday I get the same letter back!!!!! SO I drove back to the post office where we live and handed it to them and said, "please make sure this gets to the right house, this time"
I got the strangest look...like what are you talking about...I have recieved at least 20 pieces of mail for these folks over the years and even called them to make sure they have gotten some of it!!! Like graduation announcements, (easy to tell from the outside,) bills etc.... Makes me wonder where my mail goes!!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:45 PM

AGREED! I've been waiting now for 2 and a half weeks for an Eleanor Burns pattern book I bought on Amazon. I contacted the seller, and they said they mailed it on Feb 1. Good grief! I can't start my next project without that book, and I'm SOOOOO anxious to start. The post office and I are not friends right now.