Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first guilt meeting last night >

first guilt meeting last night

first guilt meeting last night

Old 02-16-2011, 02:24 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

it's hard to "zero" in on folks who may have regional information for others when they keep their location "in hiding". I understand that for whatever reason, that is a personal choice tho. just saying
Old 02-16-2011, 03:36 PM

I'm sorry that you didn't feel welcome. My guild has a person that specifically greets new members, gives them a little gift of a piece of fabric and then introduces them to some members. I would attend another guild meeting and see how it goes. Quilters are very friendly by nature and I'm sure if you introduce yourself to someone they will take you under their wing. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by cherrio
it's hard to "zero" in on folks who may have regional information for others when they keep their location "in hiding". I understand that for whatever reason, that is a personal choice tho. just saying
I am not really in hiding, I evidently didn't do something I should have when I signed up... I live in Bakersfield, CA.... Need coaching on using the QB message board..
Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM

After you've been a few times both you and the others attending will start to become friendlier and more open. Keep going, you'll enjoy it in time.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Don't give up! In our guild, at the beginning of the evening the president always asks if there are any guests. That gives visitors a chance to stand up so that members know who to welcome. I know when I first started going to guild, I didn't know anyone.
Next time if you see someone else sitting by themselves ask if you can sit by them. Another hint, ask questions, like how long have you been quilting or what's their favorite tool? Too many times we get hung up on not wanting to bother someone else.
We all know how kind and generous quilters are so don't give up!
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 PM

Be a little careful of joining a group that doesn't welcome new members. I found it difficult at my local ones and then felt very welcome ( and continue to attend) one which is an hour's drive away. I receive good companionship and exchange of ideas, whilst the other ones were in a clique, gossiped and were nasty - be a guest until you feel comfortable as it may save you time, money and emotional stress.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM

You said: "I'm a bit shy, so I find it hard to introduce myself"

I finally got over my shyness by approaching the one person at a meeting who was in worse shape than I was! I had put myself at the end of the row of chairs near the EXIT so I could leave if I felt too 'out of it,' but the other woman had her back to the group and was looking at the paintings on the wall! I went up to her and just said "hi - my name is Sally," and I was rewarded with the biggest smile of relief! She and I became very good friends - we at least had that group that organized the meeting in common!
Sally
Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 PM

oh I used to go thrugh Romona almost every week. I grew up in La Mesa, and we had to go thrugh Romona to go up to our cabin up on Palamar Mt, lovely little town!
do not give up on the guild, maybe on a night that not so much is happing they will notice the new gal. you can learn so much and really have a great time once you get to know some of the gals. keep on going for at least another 6 months or so.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Vanuatu Jill - I had the exact thing happen to me here at the local guild. I know most of the members and tried to join in various conversations, etc. but they had their own little "groups" talking about whatever, and no one encouraged me to join in their conversations - and I do mean, I tried!! After that, I did not go back, but part of that was because I was full time caregiver to my husband who was ill with Alzheimers, heart and kidney failure, and I decided if I had to get a "sitter", I would go somewhere where I would enjoy myself. That said, we've started a small group here in my home and I enjoy that so much more!!! Their loss - we all had the same experience!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by leevenora
How does one go about finding a quild?
I looked at your town & see you are close to Poplar Bluff so I went on to Google & found a guild you might want to ck out. It is called The Missouri Star Quilt Guild and they meet on the 2nd Thursday night at 6:00 p.m. at the 1st United Methodist Church on Main St. They didn't have a phone # you can call for more info, but you can drop them a line at PO Box 4114, Poplar Bluff MO 63901 or even better yet, take a friend along and just go to one of their meetings. The dues is only $15 per yr which is very reasonable. Good luck.