Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sit-down Longarms >

Sit-down Longarms

Sit-down Longarms

Old 02-16-2011, 05:19 PM

I have the Tin Lizzy 18 and I love it! I do ALL FMQ ( so far have not figured out how to do that pantogram etc) and not intricate stuff. I got my frame and machine because I went to the LQS and spent 1 solid hour trying to use my time! Had no idea what I was doing but ended up with a baby blanket that stands by itself! I got my hours worth! I decided I needed my own so I could go have coffee when I got tired! I love mine now that I am getting so I can comfortably use it! I am quilting for Quilt of Valor! I have done 8 (quilting only) and have 4 ready to quilt! I am not sure I could quilt sitting down!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 PM

i notice that no one has mentioned the WOW stretched singer. i'd been looking at those cause they look so sturdy. it'll be a long time before i can afford any, but i'd looked at the wow and the bailey.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM

I have a Tin Lizzy 18 that I have had for about 2 years now. I really like it and don't think I could quilt with a stationary machine. I have not had any problems with it. Would love a long arm learning/support group. There is always a learning curve when attempting a new skill.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 AM

Unfortunately, there are no Quilt Shows anywhere near me, and travelling at this time isn't an option. Just to clarify a previous statement, when I said price didn't matter, what I meant was the difference in price between the HQ sweet 16 and the George wasn't an issue. I would really like to stay around the $10,000 mark. Maybe I shying away from the frame models because they intimidate me, or maybe it's because I have only ever sat down to quilt on my DSM and George is the best option with the most space. I have tried a couple longarms on frames, but, that was years ago and although they are fun, don't know that it is what I was looking for. I have emailed many of the companies for brochures, prices and DVDs, so the search continues. I really appreciate all the feedback...keep it coming.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:02 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
Just information; I heard from my Bernina dealer that Pfaff is going under. Can't really guarantee that is good info but he said he and a Pfaff dealer play golf together and that is what his friend said.

Just thought I would throw that out as it would be something to consider if you are in the market for a machine. It would be a deal buster for me.
I think something like this should be corroborated before it's put in the public domain. If not true, it could do Pfaff a lot of damage and that's not fair. :-D
Old 02-17-2011, 03:34 AM

Absolutely true -this is how rummor mongering gets started.

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by DirtyPaw
Just information; I heard from my Bernina dealer that Pfaff is going under. Can't really guarantee that is good info but he said he and a Pfaff dealer play golf together and that is what his friend said.

Just thought I would throw that out as it would be something to consider if you are in the market for a machine. It would be a deal buster for me.
I think something like this should be corroborated before it's put in the public domain. If not true, it could do Pfaff a lot of damage and that's not fair. :-D
Old 02-17-2011, 03:36 AM

My friend with the sitdown HQ 16 says that the most important thing before you purchase this machine is to make sure that you are comfortable with free motion quilting. I had the chance to buy a model at less just before the new, pink model came out and didn't because I don't have much experience with FMQ and was afraid I wouldn't like it. Then I'd be stuck with the machine. So, one of my goals is to practice and see if I eventually like and the other is to save the money to get one. She has quilted queens on it and has won a ribbon for one of her quilts at a national show.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 AM

I bought my A1 in 2002 I guess I've made forty or fifty queen size quilts several twins for grandchildren.Dining room table and round tale tablecloths with matching placemats and runners.They have the best customer service people so your one phone call away.I have a my dealer who moved to Florida available by phone and another one who took her place 90 miles away and she would come to me in an emergency.I have several people in business within a ten mile drive if there were something I could not do myself .I bet most of the sewers have the same set up because there are alot of us now with longarms.Keep in touch Arkansas.

Elaine from Pa. http://community.webshots.com/user/heellie
Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 AM

Hi from South Alabama,

Would also like the info that you are offering.
No dealers in this area at all.
Bought a Juki but free motion quilting is all that it will do and there is no way, at the moment to regulate the stitch length.
Would like to see what you have since it is from an Ala dealer.
Thanks, Brenda
Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 AM

Brenda ,there are A1 dealers in most locations there is one in the Carolina one in Florida and they travel to your area.Pull up A1 and click on the map it will give you a phone number and adress to the ones nearest you and they will be able to give you information you need.Sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone and take a ride to a quilt show to see all that the quilting world has available now.The A1 dealer will tell you where you can find someone with a long arm who might let you come over to play with the machine I know if anyone lived near me I would open my doors to them.Good luck keep in touch.

Elaine from Pa. http://community.webshots.com/usre/heellie