Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block >

Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block

Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block

Old 02-17-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
our pre-school has been making class quilts for their teacher for almost 10 years now--geez time flies--
i cut freezer paper into pages (8 1/2" x 11") press pre-washed (or pfd fabric) bleached muslin to each freezer paper page (this adds stability) and give them to the kids...they color their pictures on the fabric. after they are all done i heat set the pictures (using a brown paper bag for a pressing cloth to absorb the wax) then we sash them and make them into quilts. it has been a great long-term year after year project they really look forward to. the teacher's incorporate lessons into the project, working with shapes, colors, counting ect....we make a quilt for the class-(i think the teacher gets it...but not sure)...and one to raffle off for their end of year field trip. so...guess i'm trying to say...let them color the fabric instead of trying to transfer their work...much easier. and the crayon colors last a long time...and if it does fade it is easy to get out the crayons and 'brighten it up again' :thumbup:
I vote for this way too. It's easier on you and it's all the kid's work. Any crayons will work - don't have to spend $$$ for special ones. I used typing paper to cover mine & ironed to heat set.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:19 PM

I have done this myself and I have my kids use fabric markers. They don't "spread" like sharpies and they just color on the fabric......usually bleached muslin that I have taped to the table to stabilize them. This worked very well and I've made a class quilt with my students for about 15 years. Whatever method you use, good luck, have fun and I'm sure the teacher will love it.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:31 PM

Hi I'm new here, but what I did was iron fabric to freezer paper, cut to the same size of copy paper and then place into your printer copy the childs drawing and then print your picture will be printed on the fabric/freezer paper. I use this method to make quilt labels.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:46 PM

Two ways that I would suggest:
1. Scan all of the pictures into your computer and print them onto printable fabric sheets, following the manufacturer's directions.

2. Have each child draw his/her picture on paper with Caran d'ache oil crayons (hope the spelling is OK). You then turn the paper over, face down onto COTTON material and iron it. The picture will transfer onto the cotton material.

Hope you have fun and success.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Banned

ckcowl's method is by far the easiest and gives a really nice result. Two things important to remember is to secure the muslin squares to something so it will be easy for the kids to color on, and to heat-set the individual squares by first protecting your ironing board cover with sheets of copy paper and then putting a couple of sheets on top and iron on hot, no steam. Let cool, sash and add borders and there you are! Nice quilt for the teacher!

Dana
Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 PM

I ironed freezer paper to white cloth and cut it the size of a sheet of typeing paper and run it through my printer and it works well for Pic or drawings. just remember to heat set it with an iron
Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 PM

I ironed freezer paper to white cloth ,then cut it the size of a sheet of typeing paper and run it through my printer and it works well for Pic or drawings. just remember to heat set it with an iron to keep it from fadeing out .
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 PM

may i suggest a crayon quilt
Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 PM

You sure are talented ladies!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:53 PM

I am a teacher and have had my students make quilt blocks before using iron on crayons. They color darkly onto regular paper and then you can iron it on muslin for the blocks. I sewed the top together and then we just tied it. It came out really cute. The kids loved doing it too. You can get the iron on crayons at Joann's, Hancock's or Hobby Lobby.