Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block >

Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block

Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block

Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 PM

I would like to make my son's teacher a quilt. What I would like to do is have each child draw a picture and then transfer the picture to materail to then use in the quilt. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to transfer a picture to fabric? Or another suggestion on how to? The students are first graders so skill levels are limited. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by onemoretry
I would like to make my son's teacher a quilt. What I would like to do is have each child draw a picture and then transfer the picture to materail to then use in the quilt. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to transfer a picture to fabric? Or another suggestion on how to? The students are first graders so skill levels are limited. Thanks!
I did a queen size quilt like this for a school. It was fun. I copied (by hand, like a light box), the drawings on to freezer paper, ironed it on the fabric and then cut it out.

It worked well for me. Would do it again.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 PM

You could possibly use photo transfer fabric in your printer. I think that the paper runs about a dollar per sheet and it's the size of a reg. sheet of paper. You can get it on line or at a quilt shop. Look here under "search" and put in photo quilts. Just the other day there was a lady who showed us her fantastic photo quilts and maybe if you PMed her, she could give you all the help you need. I would like to make one, but haven't yet. Good luck! Great idea for the teacher!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 PM

you could iron bleached muslin on freezer paper and have the kids color a picture on it (may be the art teacher could help you with this if it is a surprise) then heat set the pictures then use the blocks in the quilt
Old 02-15-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by onemoretry
I did one for my daughter's school years ago- had all the kids color a picture and just flipped the picture face side down on plain white fabric - ironed them with a dry iron - transferred great. Re-did the outline areas with a black fabric pen. Just have to be careful none of the pictures are directional as when you flip them face down it reverses them.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 PM

That's what I did for 2nd graders but we used an iron on/peel off paper ironed onto muslin, precut to size, 6,10 or 12inch size. Kids first pencil their drawing, then use black markers to outline ..this on the paper side. The image shows thru to fabric side. We then had them use fabric markers to color in their pic on muslin side. Then ur fun starts trying to put it together. Our theme was jungle animals & named it Where the Wild Things Are...after the kids book. See my avatar...all the animals in it were the kids art.happy to give more details in PM if wanted!more art on back label & kids all signed it. Quite a challenge but fun!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 PM

If size is important, give the students paper with a square drawn on it for them to stay inside of...most probably won't but it will help control the size a little.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Power Poster

I made quilts with second graders, but I let them draw and color right on the muslin. Last year I had a friend that had a project with first graders, she traced the pictures on muslin and the kids colored them, then I made them into placemats for each child. The parents loved it.

1st grade colored placemat
[ATTACH=CONFIG]127833[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127828.jpe  
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Jim

print coloring pages onto your fabric and let them color right on the fabric...cover with craft paper and iron...the wax will set into the fabric with heat and excess wax will draw up into the craft paper
Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 PM

I was thinking of doing the same for my grandsons teacher....I was going to print on fabric and go from there...