Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Long Arm - Turning a book design into a block pantograph

Blog Entries

Long Arm - Turning a book design into a block pantograph

Hello all, I am currently working on a group project. There are 25 blocks with each block made by a different person. The quilting needs to be freehand (no pantographs) because some blocks are applique and/or embellished. So on the other kinds of blocks, I was trying to get some designs from my book to the quilt top. I played with different methods and sadly took entirely too long to figure this out. I thought you all might like to know how to do what I did.

So here is a quick tutorial on how to transfer a design for a block from book to quilt using methods similar to doing pantographs (from back of machine)

1. So here is the block all ready to go

Name:  IMG_0845_zps613ad4a4.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  90.1 KB

2. Lay plexiglass piece down on quilt (make sure the side on the quilt is clean) and draw an outline of block and any key pieces you want with a dry erase marker (make sure it is dry erase or you wont be able to reuse the plexi)

Name:  IMG_0846_zps99df9a9a.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  71.6 KB

3. Now lay the plexi on the book, position the design where you like it

Name:  IMG_0847_zps17f29533.jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  53.0 KB

4. Draw the design in, you can always erase and redo if you dont like it, I had to monkey around with mine a bit to get it to fit and look nice:

Name:  IMG_0848_zps2d059040.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  75.3 KB

5. Place on your pantograph table, align your corners of the drawn block with the corners of the block, adjust either the plexi or laser light to get it to line up nice.

6. Drop needle in a good place to tie off, then go around front and do your knot/tie off.

7. Move to back of machine and do a few stitches, then go cut your threads (or bury them) from step 6. Then continue from back with design.

8. Stop and repeat step 6 & 7 until all designs are done.

9. Viola, your block is complete using techniques you use for pantographs. I find my stitching is smoother and more controlled, it might be because I am used to pantos and not so much free handing. But this is a great way to transfer designs easily.

Name:  IMG_0849_zps8a5edfb1.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  109.4 KB

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I just read a blog post the other day where the quilter used plexiglass to draw her pattern but I couldn't figure out how she would get the pattern transferred to her quilt. Well ..... duh ..... she is a long arm quilter also. Guess this is what she was doing. Thanks for clearing that up for me. This is a great idea!

Power Poster
    Great job now all I lack is a long arm.

Thanks for sharing this I will give it a try.
    Labug

Great tute THANK YOU. I printed off your directions and will try this soon.

Blog Entries
    Wow this is awesome gonna see if i can try this on a baby quilt i am working on. Thanks for the info. Sure have missed being on the blog.
    Regina

Thanks for the tute. Got to get some plexiglass and try this one.

Thanks for the tute. I am going to have to try this as well.

want to try this too... thanks

Blog Entries
    thank you....I have a quilt I can use this on!!!

Such a clever idea. I'll have to remember that one.

Can't wait to try this. Ingenious.

Thanks for sharing, this is a great idea. I also do mostly pantographs and find that for me it is easier to work from the back. Hoping to change that in the future - but who knows

Hmmm - don't have a long arm but I have pieces of plexiglas - and I would think washable fabric markers would work, too. You definitely gave me some ideas. Thank you for the in depth tutorial. :-)

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Blog Entries
    GREAT IDEA!! I can assure you I will use this one......

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing this great tut
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

This is a fantastic idea! And your explanation/illustration makes it so clear. Many thanks.
    Pat

Power Poster
    Good idea!!!!
    SueDor

I read on another site to wrap the edges of the plexiglass with duct tape. This acts as a "STOP" sign at the edges so you don't mistakenly mark off the glass and onto the quilt.

Yep me too....now I want one even more!

Great tip and pictures. I can't wait to try it. I had never seen it done with plexiglass. I do this type of work from the front with my laser also but for that I can use the plexi glass tip also.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
    Hello all, I am currently working on a group project. There are 25 blocks with each block made by a different person. The quilting needs to be freehand (no pantographs) because some blocks are applique and/or embellished. So on the other kinds of blocks, I was trying to get some designs from my book to the quilt top. I played with different methods and sadly took entirely too long to figure this out. I thought you all might like to know how to do what I did.

So here is a quick tutorial on how to transfer a design for a block from book to quilt using methods similar to doing pantographs (from back of machine)

1. So here is the block all ready to go

Name:  IMG_0845_zps613ad4a4.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  90.1 KB

2. Lay plexiglass piece down on quilt (make sure the side on the quilt is clean) and draw an outline of block and any key pieces you want with a dry erase marker (make sure it is dry erase or you wont be able to reuse the plexi)

Name:  IMG_0846_zps99df9a9a.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  71.6 KB

3. Now lay the plexi on the book, position the design where you like it

Name:  IMG_0847_zps17f29533.jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  53.0 KB

4. Draw the design in, you can always erase and redo if you dont like it, I had to monkey around with mine a bit to get it to fit and look nice:

Name:  IMG_0848_zps2d059040.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  75.3 KB

5. Place on your pantograph table, align your corners of the drawn block with the corners of the block, adjust either the plexi or laser light to get it to line up nice.

6. Drop needle in a good place to tie off, then go around front and do your knot/tie off.

7. Move to back of machine and do a few stitches, then go cut your threads (or bury them) from step 6. Then continue from back with design.

8. Stop and repeat step 6 & 7 until all designs are done.

9. Viola, your block is complete using techniques you use for pantographs. I find my stitching is smoother and more controlled, it might be because I am used to pantos and not so much free handing. But this is a great way to transfer designs easily.

Name:  IMG_0849_zps8a5edfb1.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  109.4 KB
    Anna Quilts

wow-great idea thanks for my my brain go nuts looking for patterns,lol
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Great technique. ThNks.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I was wondering, I am new to long arm quilting as I inherited my mothers gammill and saw a miniature device that is like a overhead projector. I wondered if you could project from a computer your design on the block using this device and that way you could work from the front of your machine.
    laura quilters rule

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lolita View Post
    I was wondering, I am new to long arm quilting as I inherited my mothers gammill and saw a miniature device that is like a overhead projector. I wondered if you could project from a computer your design on the block using this device and that way you could work from the front of your machine.
    If the device is part of your gammill machine, I would suggest calling their customer service. I havent heard of anything like this but it sounds great! much easier than the other things