Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block >

Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block

Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block

Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 PM

here is the one that I did for my mom this past xmas. she loved it.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-82384-1.htm
Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by LKimball
That's what I did for 2nd graders but we used an iron on/peel off paper ironed onto muslin, precut to size, 6,10 or 12inch size. Kids first pencil their drawing, then use black markers to outline ..this on the paper side. The image shows thru to fabric side. We then had them use fabric markers to color in their pic on muslin side. Then ur fun starts trying to put it together. Our theme was jungle animals & named it Where the Wild Things Are...after the kids book. See my avatar...all the animals in it were the kids art.happy to give more details in PM if wanted!more art on back label & kids all signed it. Quite a challenge but fun!
Would love to see a larger picture of your avatar.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 AM
cjk

Why couldn't you just scan the pics into your computer and then iron muslin onto freezer paper and print off on your printer.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 AM

I have used fabric crayons right on the fabric and it worked great.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

our pre-school has been making class quilts for their teacher for almost 10 years now--geez time flies--
i cut freezer paper into pages (8 1/2" x 11") press pre-washed (or pfd fabric) bleached muslin to each freezer paper page (this adds stability) and give them to the kids...they color their pictures on the fabric. after they are all done i heat set the pictures (using a brown paper bag for a pressing cloth to absorb the wax) then we sash them and make them into quilts. it has been a great long-term year after year project they really look forward to. the teacher's incorporate lessons into the project, working with shapes, colors, counting ect....we make a quilt for the class-(i think the teacher gets it...but not sure)...and one to raffle off for their end of year field trip. so...guess i'm trying to say...let them color the fabric instead of trying to transfer their work...much easier. and the crayon colors last a long time...and if it does fade it is easy to get out the crayons and 'brighten it up again' :thumbup:
Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
our pre-school has been making class quilts for their teacher for almost 10 years now--geez time flies--
i cut freezer paper into pages (8 1/2" x 11") press pre-washed (or pfd fabric) bleached muslin to each freezer paper page (this adds stability) and give them to the kids...they color their pictures on the fabric. after they are all done i heat set the pictures (using a brown paper bag for a pressing cloth to absorb the wax) then we sash them and make them into quilts. it has been a great long-term year after year project they really look forward to. the teacher's incorporate lessons into the project, working with shapes, colors, counting ect....we make a quilt for the class-(i think the teacher gets it...but not sure)...and one to raffle off for their end of year field trip. so...guess i'm trying to say...let them color the fabric instead of trying to transfer their work...much easier. and the crayon colors last a long time...and if it does fade it is easy to get out the crayons and 'brighten it up again' :thumbup:
This is the same way I did it and it was so easy!!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 AM

Nancy Zieman had a very cute idea on one of her shows once that would work well for you.

It involved having a child draw a picture. The one she used on the show was a penguin. She then layered three pieces of fabric, one black, one white and one orange. (There must have been one more layer on top of them all, like blue to provide the background color.) She traced the picture onto the top piece of fabric, sewed through all layers around the lines and then, leaving a seam allowance, cut out inside the lines however many layers needed to get down to the right color for that portion of the picture. For instance for the penguin's orange beak, you cut through the top layer, the black layer, and the white layer to reveal the orange layer.

Not sure if this makes any sense, but it looked really cute, and not to difficult to make. The only thing, it seemed to me to use up a lot of fabric for one quilt block.

Maybe someone else here has a link to the idea somewhere, or can explain it better.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 AM

I saw that demo too! Your directions are fine! It really was a cute block!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Lots of great ways.
When I was student teaching, a friend of mine and I did this too...we did the fabric crayons on muslin and then she transferred them with an iron...just a note of caution...make sure not to iron directly onto anything...the crayon went onto her carpet!!! But, to me, that way seems easiest, or our local Joanns has had kits with fabric markers and blocks and you just have the kiddos draw directly, then sash.

Another caution...make sure the total size will be realistic. I did 2 hand print quilts (with fabric paint and muslin) a few years ago with my son's K class and with sashing or non handprint blocks, the things were huge. I just ended up seaming the blocks directly together so they would be reasonably sized.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:17 AM

you could scan them and then print them on june tailors fabric sheets. they work great. i have made many photo quilts using that. also made one with everyone using fabric paint on each square of muslin and put them into a quilthttp://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99047-1.htm here are my photo ones