Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block >

Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block

Turning a child's drawing into a quilting block

Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
our pre-school has been making class quilts for their teacher for almost 10 years now--geez time flies--
i cut freezer paper into pages (8 1/2" x 11") press pre-washed (or pfd fabric) bleached muslin to each freezer paper page (this adds stability) and give them to the kids...they color their pictures on the fabric. after they are all done i heat set the pictures (using a brown paper bag for a pressing cloth to absorb the wax) then we sash them and make them into quilts. it has been a great long-term year after year project they really look forward to. the teacher's incorporate lessons into the project, working with shapes, colors, counting ect....we make a quilt for the class-(i think the teacher gets it...but not sure)...and one to raffle off for their end of year field trip. so...guess i'm trying to say...let them color the fabric instead of trying to transfer their work...much easier. and the crayon colors last a long time...and if it does fade it is easy to get out the crayons and 'brighten it up again' :thumbup:
I made a picture like this when I was in second grade. I am now 63 and still have the picture and the colors remain like it was yesterday.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 PM

I have been making quilts with my second graders for 13 years. I use Crayola Fabric Crayons and have the children draw directly on the fabric. I then heat set the drawings (be sure to use a paper "pressing cloth" ).

My grandson likes to make quilts this way too.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 PM

This works great I made quilt labels this way, Ironed afterwards to set the ink.
Originally Posted by sewwhat85
you could iron bleached muslin on freezer paper and have the kids color a picture on it (may be the art teacher could help you with this if it is a surprise) then heat set the pictures then use the blocks in the quilt
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 PM

I took my 5 yr old grandson to a class given by someone from the San Jose Quilt Museum. She gave simple instructions that directed the kids to "build" their quilt block on paper, joining each part as they went. She was very good and my grandson "built" a house (others "built" trees and even figures, etc.). No material, just an exercise on paper.

Later we found fabric that matched the 5 colors my little guy had used and we put it into a block as in putting a puzzle together, one piece at a time (think "log cabin"). I did the sewing on the machine, but he had done the original and helped with the colors.

Since then we have built a huge tree together and it ended up being the central backdrop for a grade school rendition of "a midsummer's night dream".
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 PM

I took my 5 yr old grandson to a class given by someone from the San Jose Quilt Museum. She gave simple instructions that directed the kids to "build" their quilt block on paper, joining each part as they went. She was very good and my grandson "built" a house (others "built" trees and even figures, etc.). No material, just an exercise on paper.

Later we found fabric that matched the 5 colors my little guy had used and we put it into a block as in putting a puzzle together, one piece at a time (think "log cabin"). I did the sewing on the machine, but he had done the original and helped with the colors.

Since then we have built a huge tree together and it ended up being the central backdrop for a grade school rendition of "a midsummer's night dream".
Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 PM

I found a site that has great step by step info on how to this type of quilt and it is free. www.thepattern.com/crayon.html
Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM

they have crayons that you draw with then you iron them on your blocks
Old 02-17-2011, 07:36 PM

As a kindergarten/ first grade teacher for 20+ years, our class always did a quilt for each study unit we did. I would read books, show realistic pix of topic, etc. and then let them choose their own block. I masking-taped muslin to the top of their desks and had then draw/trace the picture. Then they would color the figures in with the heat set crayons, sign & date the picture. Then I took all the squares home and put them together & quilted the little wall quilt. At the end of the year, we "Silent Auctioned" the quilts to put the $ back into the art program. Great fun, and great memories.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Fabric crayons are cheap and easy. They can 'bleed' a little when ironing if the coloring is thick though.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 AM

You could scan them, reverse them, and print them on Avery Fabric Transfers using your computer printer.