Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Label >

Quilt Label

Quilt Label

Old 02-19-2011, 06:06 AM

I am looking for ideas on how to do easy appealing label for my quilts. Is there somewhere you can have them printed?? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you Wendy
Old 02-19-2011, 06:10 AM

Often I will look online for clip art or borders, then make one up on the computer and print it on the inkjet fabric sheets. I try to do something that coordinates with the quilt itself, colors/themes. I do most of my editing in PowerPoint.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:37 AM

I do mine the same way, sometimes even add in a photo to make it fun. Some embroider their labels, some use a permanent fabric marker and write on the labels. So many options.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
Often I will look online for clip art or borders, then make one up on the computer and print it on the inkjet fabric sheets. I try to do something that coordinates with the quilt itself, colors/themes. I do most of my editing in PowerPoint.
Yes i think i'm going to have to try the inkjet printer fabric
Old 02-19-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by trif
I do mine the same way, sometimes even add in a photo to make it fun. Some embroider their labels, some use a permanent fabric marker and write on the labels. So many options.
Thank you for your reply
Old 02-19-2011, 07:26 AM

I don't have an inkjet, so I can't print out my labels. I use pigma pens. Sometimes I freehand it, and sometimes (and this looks a lot nicer) I trace a line drawing. I have a book of iron-on transfer labels that my mom got me for Christmas, but you are supposed to only use it on poly-cotton blends or the ink will fade. So I've been using my window as a light box and tracing the designs with a pigma pen, and it works great.

Also sometimes for text only labels I do format the label in Word, print it out, and trace, as described here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-51054-1.htm
Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 AM

Silly question, but what kind of printer? Will any normal printer work as long as it is inkjet? I am currently without printer, but planning on getting one soon and would definitely like to get one with the option of printing labels or pictures and things for my quilts. Thanks so much for the help :)
Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 AM

Pigma pen. For our prayer quilts at church, one member does machine embroidered labels. Really pretty!
Old 02-19-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by momto4
Silly question, but what kind of printer? Will any normal printer work as long as it is inkjet? I am currently without printer, but planning on getting one soon and would definitely like to get one with the option of printing labels or pictures and things for my quilts. Thanks so much for the help :)
It should work in any inkjet printer. I don't know about the laser printers, but most people have the inkjets. I always print it out on a piece of paper first to be sure I like how it's coming out.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:26 PM

I embroider mine but also buy them thru catalogs that make little labels up for you...i.e. Miles Kimbell When I'm lazy and don't want to embroider I just have to stitch it on the back...