Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality of fabric declining? >

Quality of fabric declining?

Quality of fabric declining?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:43 PM

the quality of many things seems to be going down...Not just fabric...How sad......
Old 02-19-2011, 03:47 PM

As long as we buy an inferior product, someone will continue to throw it out there. If some of the LQS get enough complaints, with refusals to buy inferior fabrics maybe they'll get the word to the company reps. I can assure you that if the shops don't sell a particular line because its poor quality, they won't be buying any more of it.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:19 PM

yes, i had to get a solid black last month. it really was unreal how thin is was.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:22 PM

Along this thread of quality fabric -- I have noticed that Connecting Threads material ravels a lot or is it just me? I like the looks of some of there lines but the raveling really bothers me. The price is nice too, but like it is said "guess you get what you pay for"
Old 02-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Recently, my friend.. REDBUGSULLIVAN that lives across the street kept touting the wonderful fabric for the price from connecting threads. I being a fabric snob to a degree kept telling her that "I like to finger my fabric." Last night I fingered her fabric she got from C.Threads. WOW, nice, good quality and some if it was a few dollars a yard. I am impressed and although their selection is very limited it is because they make their own and can charge a fair price instead of inflated namebrand fabrics. I will still remain being a snob to a degree cause I love my stash building varieties but will now be a new loyal customer of theirs.

I also have to note ... the price she got for her 10 pack of thread was unbelieveable and very NICE QUALITY. Excellent yardage too. I am sold!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
Has anyone noticed a difference in the quality of "quilt shop" fabric in recent years? I have a large stash of fabrics purchased back in the 1990's & early 2000's. Maywood was one of my favorite fabric manufactureres, but I was just told by a QB member that she was having a problem with newly purchased Maywood fabric.
That was probably me that told you.
I am disappointed in how badly the Maywood is raveling.
Here's is something else to wrap your minds around...with the price of cotton going up...the best is being shipped to China which means we will be getting worse and worse cottons produced for the USA.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:02 PM

More than 30 years ago, I know that a lot of weaving manufacturers stopped weaving in or finishing off their ends as they once did - they leave them open ended now. It is a time saving and cost cutting measure in order that these manufacturers could compete and stay in business. Therefore, the cloth doesn't last for 70 years any more as it did in granny's day.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 PM

Well this is sad, lower quality fabric and higher prices.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:31 PM

Doesn't it stand to reason though.. .everything else in this nation is declining in quality yet costing more. It fits the pattern like a well crafted glove.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:38 PM

I am not totally sure but a woman at Hancock's told me about 6 years ago that they now get all their fabric from China. Apparently, the mills in the U.S. are part of the workforce that the work has gone "foreign". That is probably the cause for lack of quality. Could ask your LQS where they get their fabric and see if that is it. Just don't know!