Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing YOUR SCRAPS >

Organizing YOUR SCRAPS

Organizing YOUR SCRAPS

Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Mine are separated by strips sizes- then by color, square sizes, accuquilt sizes, scraps smaller than fat qtrs, and crumbs. Each have their own sterilite clear stackable drawers. My strips are the only ones I separate by color the rest all go together.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
Oh goodness, now I feel like a lazy chick.....my scraps are tossed into a basket. Actually it's two round hampers. I flipped the lid over and my husband cut boards to fit them. I use them as nightstands in the spare bedroom--just cover them with tablecloths.
An excellent idea for those short on space!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 PM

Some of mine are very neat in ziplock bags and others are tossed in drawers. I do try to keep the larger ones that will blend nicely into a future quilt together. Lately I have started putting a small tray on my cutting table to hold my current scraps to sort out after all of the cutting for the quilt I am working on is done. I also have coat hangers in the sewing room closet to hang strips on that I might be able to use in the quilt I am working on at the time. I tend to make up my quilt designs as I go. I think I will organize my scraps better though because I am starting to learn paper piecing for a quilt for my 10 yr.old GS and I don't like hunting through the drawers for the right size pieces.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by grugirl
OK.. I just love you folks.. I have read your replies to my post here and decided to repurpose an identical storage tower that I currently use for tools and notions, for just my scraps. It has 8 drawers I think. Currently it is holding multitudes of items for tropical bird making toys. It is solved... I have my scrap organizer. Thanks!
Here's how I did mine Grugirl,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-129762.jpe
Views:	117
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	129767  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:19 AM

Don't store, sew, I say :-) I have just started strip piecing scrappy log cabin blocks. They come together quickly, are relaxing to make and can make ugly scraps seem pretty again.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 AM

I have strips in a plastic container by color. I have a bunch of 3" x 2" pieces organized by color, batiks separate and some triangles too in a wicker basket. The smaller and odd shaped pices are together not by color more by size and shape in a shoe box - I realized over the weekend that I'd like to separate the tinier scraps from this container together in another small container. This seems to be a changing process as I go until I find what works best.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

when my scraps are re-producing at an alarming rate i set aside a saturday for (scrap-therapy)
i turn on the iron and set up my cutting table...and grab my box of scraps. i spend the day (or a few hours) lovingly ironing each scrap and cutting it into a (usable) piece...fq's, 9" squares, 6" Squares, 4" squares, 2" squares...what ever i can get out of each piece...i cut it up till i can no longer get a usable piece out of it...these i stack according to size, color/texture has nothing to do with it...so i have a tote with scrappy 9" squares, on down to 2 1/2" squares, strips that range from 1" Up to 3";
anything over a fq is folded and put back on the shelves.
then when i want to work on an eye-spy or charm quilt i can just pick a size square to work with go to my tote and grab a stack of that size and start sorting for my project. i also have a plastic drawer that small (corner triangles) and odd shape pieces get tossed into it; when my granddaughter's come to visit they love to take that drawer and sit down at the machine and just start sewing them together...a very true scrappy quilt! they just have the drawer next to them on a stool, grab a piece, sew it to another, grab the next and add it...it is a very cool project! one that will keep going for years i think :thumbup:
Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
Don't store, sew, I say :-) I have just started strip piecing scrappy log cabin blocks. They come together quickly, are relaxing to make and can make ugly scraps seem pretty again.
I have been reading about strip quilts. What method to you use?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by roxannebcb

I have been reading about strip quilts. What method to you use?
Here's a photo from my blog that shows how I'm doing it. http://quiltthinking.wordpress.com/2...ed-log-cabin1/

I'm sure there are many other methods that the talented people on this board can share.

It doesn't look like the right sides of the fabric are facing each other on this photo (due to the flash, maybe?) but they should be.

Strip piecing the scrappy log cabin blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]160439[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-160434.jpe
Views:	19
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	160439