Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who else is attracted to a ridiculous amount of black? >

Who else is attracted to a ridiculous amount of black?

Who else is attracted to a ridiculous amount of black?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 AM

I'm that way too--the richer the black, the better. Now I'm onto buying black prints and black and white fat quarters . Maybe it's too much time in front of the piano...
Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 AM

I am planning a bargello right now with a lot of black in it. Can't wait to get it started, but I have a couple UFOs that I have to finish first.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
A lot of my quilt ideas incorporate quite a bit of black in them. In the case of my Kittie quilt, its basically all black save for the designs on the shirts (black t-shirts and black crackle fabric for borders and sashing). And the other colors I pair up with it are either white or something very bright and bold like cherry red, hot pink, neon orange, etc. Very rarely do I ever come up with a quilt that doesn't have black in it and tend to stay away from the "pretty" pastels. Its like I'm a Goth quilter designing for a Hot Topic store.

I'd like to see who else on here is attacted to black fabrics and dark quilts. Can't be the only one, right?
My favorite color is black - I am 5'8" tall and have a 33" inseam - which means that it is hard to find pants that are long enough.
I usually go to Beall's outlet, TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshall or outlet stores - I walk down the rows of pants to find th lonest to try on. Generally speaking they are black.

I find that black pants, with a black top and a bright colored jacket or accessory reall pops out the accent color.

I think it works that same way with quilts. I just love jewel tones in quilts.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
A lot of my quilt ideas incorporate quite a bit of black in them. In the case of my Kittie quilt, its basically all black save for the designs on the shirts (black t-shirts and black crackle fabric for borders and sashing). And the other colors I pair up with it are either white or something very bright and bold like cherry red, hot pink, neon orange, etc. Very rarely do I ever come up with a quilt that doesn't have black in it and tend to stay away from the "pretty" pastels. Its like I'm a Goth quilter designing for a Hot Topic store.

I'd like to see who else on here is attacted to black fabrics and dark quilts. Can't be the only one, right?
I really love black in quilts. I hoard my black fabric for myself and try not to waste it all on every quilt I make. I would have to start buying black by the bolt instead of 6 yards at a time like I do. :)
Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 AM

I am doing my first quilt, and I most certainly has black in it. In fact, the backing is black. I have always loved black with bright colors.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Banned

Rarely do I make a quilt that doesn't have some black in it. Black makes every other color in the quilt sparkle.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 AM

Black is my fav. color! It is so elegant I think. Really love it in quilts.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:27 AM

I love black! Not only do I like putting it in quilts, it's the colour I wear most often too.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Black is definitely a favorite of mine too. And it shows in my wardrobe also. Not goth. That's after my time but definitely a old hippie chick. LOL. I love Abbie on NCIS. SHe is so cute.
I love Abby too! I freaked that one episode where she was forced to wear clothes that were appropriate for the NCIS dress code.

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
I love black! Not only do I like putting it in quilts, it's the colour I wear most often too.
Ditto!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:45 PM

I use a little too much black too, but my thing is Halloween prints. They keep ending up in quilts where they have no business. Example, the quilt in my avatar has skeletons dancing next to tiny blue flowers...

The quilt I'm working on now is all Halloween prints.

Best friend's quilt will have ghosts in the quilting.

But its kinda my thing and I think I've found my voice (that apparently sounds like screeching cats and cackling witches) Maybe your use of black is your voice manifesting itself. :)