Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow? >

What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow?

What am I doing wrong cutting long strips that they bow?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 PM

I too have problems when I cut my fabric. I'm not talking about a little 1/8 of an inch , I can be off by an inch when I cut 44 inch fabric. I think it has something to do with which fold you use. I just can't figure it out.
I can't cut the whole 44 inches so I fold it in half. I have it lined up salvage to salvage , fold it in half and then fold it again. I have started by lining up the ruler on the original first fold and I have done it by lining it up by using the second fold. I open it up and I have this hugh bow in the strip. I doesn't happen every time but it is happening more and more. I can't figure it out.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 PM

Minniesewta ... when you buy your fabric it is folded on the lengthwise grain .. if that is a good fold, and you can tell by checking the selvedge and making sure there isn't any wrinkle or wobble in the fold line you can get it ready to cut .. but if there is anything crooked, straighten it out before making your square up cut .. I will iron that center fold clear out if it's kinked. Now that you have your center, you can fold it edge to edge, lay your fabric to the right and measure from the left. I lay the fold on a horizontal line on my mat, check a couple of times, and then square off that left edge using a vertical mat line that is pretty close to that edge. Once that is straight, you can line your LONG ruler up at the width you want, say 2 1/4 for binding strips, and holding the ruler FIRMLY with your left hand, cut along that right edge holding your rotary cutter nice and straight. Always use sharp blades in your cutter - and close it after each cut. Now pull away the strip you just cut, measure again, and proceed just like the first one, don't slide your fabric until after your 3rd cut .. then, make sure your fold is still on a horizontal line, check to see if your cut edge is still straight on the vertical line - if not, trim it before cutting another strip. BTW- this cut is called WOF - width of fabric, meaning selvedge to selvedge. Keep your ruler nice and tight to the fabric .. if it feels llike it is sliding - you are not holding it straight down, but letting your hand go to an angle, and that will push the ruler out of alignment.
I probably cut 20-30 strips a week - and I learned the hard way!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 PM

I am intrigued. What is a Go Baby?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
The fabric is not on grain, it's that simple. I have always realigned the fabric, never use it the way it comes off the bolt.

Unfold the fabric,, press out the center, hold the 2 selvages edges together, move the fabric left or right untill there is no distortion in the folded edge. There will be bumbs & bubbles in the fold when it is not straight, but as soon as the grain is aligned, the fabric will lay smooth.

I then lay it on the ironning board, press from selvage edge to fold, being sure to keep selvages together. If you get a bubble when pressing, it's still not onn grain.

Have done this method for over 40years & it works, just a little practice to learn.

Good luck
This is the same way I get my material squared. I pin the selvages together down the whole length. Lie flat and use a ruler to smooth while holding selvages in place. I then fold in half and pin the selvages to the fold, making sure that it is even selvage to fold. The Taylor Shape Cut fits perfectlly.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 AM

Gagai,
Very good point.
Thanks for the help.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:50 AM

This is the best solution to the problem. Also iron the fabic if you continue to have a problem. It is with the folding of the fabric that you are getting the problem. The fabric needs to be fairly stiff and flat.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:08 AM

I used to have the bow problem when I folded my fabric twice (4 layers). The problem was that the inner fold was not exact. So now, I fold once, hand crease the fold well, and then take the fold up to the salvedges and smooth the fabric from the top down to the double fold, and that has alleviated the problem for me.

Diane
Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 AM

It could be the placement of your hand on the ruler. It is a skill that is learned and can be very difficult to master. I use my hand like a "spider" and put my outer two fingers on the mat so I have control.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 AM

I have this problem too, so now I press and fold once and I get it right this way.

Cookie
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM

too many folds. Fabric come folded once, then fold one more time only if you need to or don't have the room to lay the fabric with just the single fold. Be sure to square up the fabric before cutting and square again every 2-3 cuts. Good idea, in regards to the non-slip dots.