Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when somesone shows you their project >

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Dee

I feel a person did their best to their ability. If they think its nice, then thats all that matters.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Finding something kind even if you have to reach for it is worth the encouragement it will give the newbie to keep quilting and sewing and to hone their skills or lack thereof. Helping someone to believe they can conquer anything is an important incentive for being kind and helpful if they are open to it. Being a teacher by trade, everyone learns in different ways, different situations and by positive criticism. On that note, I have to say I always attempt to be as honest as possible but not cruel.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 PM

I try to remember how poor my skills were when I first started, but I thought every completed quilt was a beauty! Now, those early quilts stay packed away in the closet. I probably should donate them to a shelter. I did give my husband one quilt to take with him when he goes fishing with his cousin. The cousin doesn't believe in turning the heat on in his SUV, so my husband wraps himself up in my poorly assembled quilt.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Power Poster

I am new to quilting and know my skills are not up to par yet. However, I do put alot of time and effort into my work. I feel we are usually are own worst judge kind words tend to keep me moving forward instead of giving up.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 PM

I believe the only thing that spews from ones mouth
should be kindness and love for another , not rudeness
as that only shows your mentality. Judge Not Least Ye Be Judged..
Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by vschieve
If it is the first quilt for this person I would say something like "I admire your persistance in getting it done. What are your plans for the next one"?

If you don't know much about this person's background such as self-taught, might have Parkinson's as mentioned already in post above, I would be very careful and whatever you do don't say anthing negative. Let the person talk more about the quilt and her quilting background and then if it fits in, wait for the opportunity to tell her about an upcoming quilting class at LQS in a way not indicating that she needs to attend but that it would be fun to go to one.
Maybe ask her/him to go with you?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 PM

You were special for making such a grand remark. I am sure the quilter appreciated the sentiment. After you found out she had Parkinson's, your remark made you feel great, because you were so kind. You both come out on top and felt good.

Carol from NC
Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 AM

we never know ,there's probably of a lot of quilters with disabilities,
my grandson with Down Syndrome has un usually short thumbs, and loves helping me cut fabric now(he's almost 9)he tries so hard but it takes him about 15 minutes to cut one piece,his work isn't done to perfection ,but it is my pride and joy!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat
My sister taught my nephew to say, "That is very interesting" when he didn't care for something. I use that sometimes. Trouble is, everytime my nephew says it, we turn to my sister and ask, "Does he like it or not?"
My daughter, before birthday or Christmas reminds her son (now 5) that if he doesn't like a gift not to say so but to say politely, "Thank you for the present." After all, he would be hurt if someone told him they didn't like his gift.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 AM

I agree!