Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leftover Batting >

Leftover Batting

Leftover Batting

Old 05-19-2011, 01:02 PM

I've made about 7 quilts over the last 6 months or so and wanted to know what to do with all the leftover scraps of batting. Most of it is the same type, but I'm not really into place mats or table runners and don't know what to do with them. With the cost of material now a day I can't seem to throw it away and it's really starting to stack up.....Any suggestions?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Google Goddess

I read an article the other day with leftover batting to sew them together with a S seam so you can have another big piece of batting

here is the link to the article if you want to read it

http://www.quilting-tidbits.com/quilt-batting.html
Old 05-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Joselake
I've made about 7 quilts over the last 6 months or so and wanted to know what to do with all the leftover scraps of batting. Most of it is the same type, but I'm not really into place mats or table runners and don't know what to do with them. With the cost of material now a day I can't seem to throw it away and it's really starting to stack up.....Any suggestions?
Sometimes I piece leftovers together using a wide zigzag stitch. Works well, but I must admit, if the are smaller than 10 inches, I don't bother piecing, but I do small quilts so I end up using a good chunk of my leftovers, and the smaller odd pieces get used as dusting cloths,lol.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 PM

I've made larger pieces of batting out of smaller pieces - with the price of everything going up, there's no way I'm wasting anything if at all possible!

If the piece is just too small to do anything else with, you could always cut it up into small pieces and put it with your stuffing for bears or something...
Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

there's also a new ironon tape on the market - about 2-3" wide made to join pieces of batt.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM

I like to sew the batting together and make doll quilts for my dd and her friends. I use a zig zag stitch to sew them together. I have some really small pieces that I am trying to figure out what to do with them. 1-3" wide and really long. I have also done this with lap and baby size quilts.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 PM

Yes, I've successfully sewn batting bits together into a bigger piece, using a large zig zag. I use for quilted cushion covers. I usually make at least one cushion cover for each quilt, using same colours and fabrics. Sometimes using one of the blocks in the quilt, only larger. I also like table runners. A bag is another way to use up the batting scraps.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

I sometimes use my leftover batting to make pet beds for my animals. I will either fold it over numberous times or use several leftover pieces together to get it as thick as I like for them. Plus sometimes I use the practice quilts that I have my customers do when renting out my machine as the covering for the pet beds.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 05-19-2011, 01:21 PM

I put small pieces of batting in a bag, and whenever I need stuffing for pillow, I "shred" it apart. Works great!! I simply grasp each side in my hands and pull it until it is smooth. ;)
Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 PM

I keep the small ones (2" or more) to use as "test" pieces. Whether I'm testing thread and tension, thread for the "look" on the quilt (especially variagated thread), or practicing new techniques. Also keep small ones in the event that you need them for a trapunto design.

I have sewn batting together, if I had two large pieces and the two together was enough for a quilt. I've just zig-zagged the edges.