How many have a garden?

Old 03-03-2011, 05:09 PM

We are still under a lot of snow here in Minnesota but I love gardening. I live in a town home but our association is small and we do allow gardening if the owners keeps it up on a regular basis. I have a small perennial garden just below my deck but several of us home owners have enhance our huge spacious grounds with more perennials with gardens around our trees. We would love to do some veggies, but the deer and bunnies come along and eat it faster than it can grow. I've used a mixture of Zest soap in a spray bottle on the flowers which deters them and those cute shining kids pinwheels , but it doesn't faze these critters on the veggies. If anyone has any other good suggestions on keeping the wild life away I would really appreciate hearing from you.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:12 PM

P.S...we have one of the largest plant sales in the country which support educational scholarships for students...check it out on the following web site...http://www.friendsschoolplantsale.com/
Old 03-03-2011, 05:22 PM

I have been harvesing green onions all winter. Planted Texas sweet onions about a month ago. Once the soil warms up a bit more, will be putting in tomatoes, and squash. The wonders of San Diego County...my love of gardening matches my love for quilting!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM

I just do tomatoes and herbs and what every I can put in pots on my back porch. Veggies are getting so expensive!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:40 PM

We have rabbits, groundhogs, raccoons and skunks that live around us and are always in our yard/garden. Mom suggested I make a trench about 1" down all the way around the garden and put in blood meal, not mixed with anything just straight blood meal and whatever is in it, the critters don't like it. We did it for the first time last year and they left most of the garden alone. I know Lowe's carrys it thats where I bought it from.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 PM

We were outside today, checking out the garden spot. Looking forward to getting our hands dirty. tee hee. Still a little early here but will probably sow some lettuce soon. With the price of groceries we might have to become vegetarians. We can and freeze all our excess, share with family and friends too. 8-)
Old 03-03-2011, 06:23 PM

I hear you on the prices, we went to get a head of romaine Thursday and it was $3 for a head darn near fell over. I'm thankful I do a lot of business with local farmers so I buy my eggs and things from them. We grew romaine last year and we had great success with it so we will do it again this year. I think I will be expanding the garden this year, we've started growing seeds in the house this year and so far so good let's pray I don't kill them before the spring.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 PM

Do you make your sauerkraut in the jar, or the old fashioned way in a crock. I've done both, and prefer the 'in the jar' method if I'm not making much.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Be sure to let me know how he reacts...I love to hear about husband's reactions to new things like this. Ever try lavendar blooms in water? I haven't but had a friend who said she used them in water and it kept her breath smelling great cause she sipped on the water all day.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 PM

We had some cabbage get big like that last year, but they didn't have any flavor, in least in coleslaw. I don't remember the variety, but I think they needed to be picked when they were smaller. We gave one to a neighbor that weighed 25 pounds! After I made slaw with one, I was embarrassed because the slaw was so tasteless. I should have done the sauerkraut. h well, there's always another garden this year![/quote]

Do you ever put a dash of vinegar in your cole slaw? If so, try a herbal vinegar, if you should ever grow a 'tastless' cabbage again. You'd be surprised how little it takes to perk up coleslaw.