How many have a garden?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sheila_H
We have rabbits, groundhogs, raccoons and skunks that live around us and are always in our yard/garden. Mom suggested I make a trench about 1" down all the way around the garden and put in blood meal, not mixed with anything just straight blood meal and whatever is in it, the critters don't like it. We did it for the first time last year and they left most of the garden alone. I know Lowe's carrys it thats where I bought it from.
I have also used it to keep cats out of my flower beds. I really hate digging in dirt that they've used for kitty litter.

Another thing I do in my herb garden is grow leeks because 'racing worms' love leeks. I don't know what they are called really but they are lime green with black stripes and remind me of race cars. I was told they are the worms that turn into monarch butterfly cocoons, but don't know for sure.

I always leave the part of the salad bowl lettuce that grows to big to be tasty for the rabbits that get into my garden. Any rabbit coming to my garden gets named Sally, and Sally always seems to be happy living in the lettuce and leaving the other stuff alone. What I really hate are the grasshoppers we get when it's very, very hot here. They nibble on each and every veggie or fruit they can get to. Now, I'd be happy to leave a plant just for them, if they honor the system, but grasshoppers have no moral structure. They just take what they want from each veggie and then hop on to the next. When it's really hot and dry here I get a very good glimpse of what the locust plague back in the 'old' days must have been like. And when you walk thru the grass hundreds of grasshoppers go before you. Whenever it's a winter as bad as this one has been, we know, tho, that the insect infestations will be less.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:19 PM

OMG, that square foot gardening is the BEST! I finally go the original book thru paperbackswap.com....I LOVE it!!!!! Best idea ever. This is my second year doing it, and while i am not so good at it I am learning!!! Already put in spinach and kale, carrots and lettuce tomorrow....Love it!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:12 PM

I would love to know what you mean by "square foot gardening".
Old 03-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Sheila...thanks for all your great gardening advice...I will have to try some of these come this spring when the snow is all gone. Much, much appreciated.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:05 AM

Yeah,, me too..What is square foot gardening and is the book available to purchase to help me along. :mrgreen:
Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 AM

I to am getting spring fever. We just purchased this plot of land last fall.

My husband has been laughing at me for awhile now. been going out with paper and pencil tape measure.

then planting rocks where i plan to plant the fruit trees I have ordered. More rocks to where the veggie garden will be.

hopfully soon!!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by broomstix
I to am getting spring fever. We just purchased this plot of land last fall.

My husband has been laughing at me for awhile now. been going out with paper and pencil tape measure.

then planting rocks where i plan to plant the fruit trees I have ordered. More rocks to where the veggie garden will be.

hopfully soon!!
LOL, you just be careful not to plant those rocks too deep. You don't want those danged things growing and multiplying.
Hugs and smilesssss
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM

hello wildyard,

I will try not to let them multip;y, but i sure need more of them.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by broomstix
hello wildyard,

I will try not to let them multip;y, but i sure need more of them.
LOL Oh, well in that case...
When I lived in Ohio, I had not a rock in my yard. I was always stopping along country roads to pick them up and hauling them home. Same with going to construction sites and asking for rocks they had dug out in digging foundations, etc.
Now I live here in NY and can't dig a hole with a teaspoon without bringing out 2 or 3 dang rocks. LOL... the old adage, be careful what you wish for sure applied to me.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 AM

hello wildyard.

I am laying out my orchard. each rock i plant in the spring will be a tree.

Plan to plant dwarf fruit trees.

But when I make a wish for my rocks I will be specific and ask for only what i need. 16 rocks. should do for now.