what wou do?

Old 03-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Anytime I deal with any business entity, I have a piece of paper or a notebook in front of me. I make notes on who I talked to, the time, the conversation, etc. Make sure you get the name, even if you have to ask them to repeat it. Otherwise, it just doesn't work as well. I agree, you have already established that machine isn't working well and may not be fixable or may not be fixed (in other words, it might be able to be fixed, but they can't seem to get it fixed, so it's not working either way). Are there any consumer reporters locally? We have Clark Howard, Plus several of the TV news shows have a consumer reporter. A lot of times those are helpful. The biggie is the "nasty gram" to the company president. You can explain the situation, why you are not happy and what you want done: current machine properly repaired or new one, also maybe ask for extended warranty for free for your trouble. Give them a reasonable time frame, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc. If you don't get a response, you can also go to your state's attorney general for fraud.

Good luck...and let us know what happens!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 AM

Make dated copies of all your communications!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by jmabby
Hi,
The last week of Nov I bought a floor model sewing machine, they claimed it had less than 30 hours on it. Well, I got it home and couldn't get the bottom stitches to sew right, took it back after the holidays, left it with the dealer. A week later I got it back and found out the timing was bad from the factory, got it fixed -- I have a 2 year warranty on the labor. The machine started acting up again, sometime stopping completely, and at times felt sluggish. I wanted to take it back, but with the bad weather the roads were too bad, (I brought it from a shop 100 miles from my home) finally, the last week in Feb I took it to the shop, it still isn't fixed, they send it back to the factory. I told the owner I would like a new machine, but he said until there is a track record of the machine not working they don't do that. I paid with a check and now don't know what to do. Any suggestions?? They did give me a machine to use while mine is being fixed.
Most states, especially California, have a "lemon law" regarding automobiles. I don't see why it shouldn't also apply to sewing machines - especially since some of them cost more than a car.

My suggestion is call the CEO of the sewing machine company. You are in a position to comment unfavorably about their machines in forums of women who are their customers. They don't want the bad publicity and will probably work with you to solve this problem.

My late husband was supposed to get a grave marker from the VA. 9 months after his funeral, the funeral director told me they still hadn't been able to get the marker from the VA. He also said several other families were having the same problem. I told him I'd take care of the problem. The next business day I made two phone calls. The next day the funeral director called me wanting to know whom I'd called - he was getting phone calls from the VA seriouslly kissing booty. I told him my first phone call was to the White House (Clinton's) and I explained my problem to the switchboard operator. She gave me the direct phone number of the Secretary of Veteran Affairs. I called him, explained my problem, and it was taken care of immediately.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Talk to your bank, they still might let you put a stop payment on the check. Let them know the situation. It is worth a try. I work for a company and we get checks back very late with a stop payment on them.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:45 PM

wow i would find a way to get my money back or replace with a NEW one, yes write the company, remind them that you bought it to use not to go for rides in your car back and forth to get it fixed all the time
Old 03-06-2011, 04:48 PM

I'd make copies of all your reciepts of repairs and write the company. OR better yet contact your tv station. around here they have people who try and help people having troble with companies.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:42 PM

DON'T GIVE UP, DO NOT STOP UNTIL YOU ARE HAPPY. I bought a lemon Bernina & the shop I bought it from would not stand behind it. It was under warranty & the woman would not stand behind it. If the shop won't fix it, go over & beyond them. I make sure I spread the word about the shop to everyone I know & I tell them how many times I had it in for repairs. Just let the shop know you can give them some good advertisement with all the quilt clubs & guilds you belong to!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM

That sounds llike the machine I bought before I got my Babylock. I used the "old" new one as a down payment on the Baby. They gave me the full price I had paid for the other machine and I didn't even buy it from them.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM

the squeaky wheel gets the grease
Old 03-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Dee

Thats how I got another Refer. Brand new , but would not make ice cubes. After 6 trips Lowes gave me another refer and got to pick out any one I wanted for the same price.