what wou do?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Hi,
The last week of Nov I bought a floor model sewing machine, they claimed it had less than 30 hours on it. Well, I got it home and couldn't get the bottom stitches to sew right, took it back after the holidays, left it with the dealer. A week later I got it back and found out the timing was bad from the factory, got it fixed -- I have a 2 year warranty on the labor. The machine started acting up again, sometime stopping completely, and at times felt sluggish. I wanted to take it back, but with the bad weather the roads were too bad, (I brought it from a shop 100 miles from my home) finally, the last week in Feb I took it to the shop, it still isn't fixed, they send it back to the factory. I told the owner I would like a new machine, but he said until there is a track record of the machine not working they don't do that. I paid with a check and now don't know what to do. Any suggestions?? They did give me a machine to use while mine is being fixed.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 AM

I's definitely write to the company...address it to the President, tho that individual may never actually see it, someone will get back to you...and if not, write again. The dealer's statement about not replacing a machine if it has a history of problems is bogus! A tactful letter with the facts clearly written out will do more faster than almost any other tactic. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Feel your pain! I'd want a new one as well. Try to pin them down on what they consider a "track record of not working" Sounds to me like you already have that. Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2011, 09:11 AM

sounds like you got a lemon read your sales agreement contact the consumer protection agency in your state also the manufacturer
Old 03-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Google your state's "lemon law". What brand and model machine is it? Some brands are not very good. That might give some indication of whether the problems are associated with poor manufacture or with excessive use/misuse on the floor.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 AM

I would call the machine company asking them if there have been other machine of this modle with this problem,I would also ask that they give me in something in writting what all they have fix. I would call the store and tell the dealer that this machine did not have 30 hrs of use( no way can you have such problem with only 30 hrs of use on it ) and that you want another machine after this last time you take it home. I would also tell the dealer that If he don't play nice and ensures that nothing else is wrong with this machine you are going to call and complain to the better business and post the company and his store on our quilting blog and tell everyone about their handling of the situation. Also, if the store is on the internet I would post something on a review section, about this situation and it outcome. (The power of the PEN/Internet) Hey, my girl friend mother when we were young brought a pair of skates and they broke after the first use, she wanted to return them and the deal would not exchange them so she dress us up with pickit signs in front of the store in protest about this, it worked she got new skates.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

there probably is a lemon law. so many complaints within a certain amt of time. ask about that and get a new one.
a lady at Sears finally told about the lemon law and said one more complaint on our 13 yr old monster of a built in oven, i'd get a new one! i did too!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jmabby
Hi,
The last week of Nov I bought a floor model sewing machine, they claimed it had less than 30 hours on it. Well, I got it home and couldn't get the bottom stitches to sew right, took it back after the holidays, left it with the dealer. A week later I got it back and found out the timing was bad from the factory, got it fixed -- I have a 2 year warranty on the labor. The machine started acting up again, sometime stopping completely, and at times felt sluggish. I wanted to take it back, but with the bad weather the roads were too bad, (I brought it from a shop 100 miles from my home) finally, the last week in Feb I took it to the shop, it still isn't fixed, they send it back to the factory. I told the owner I would like a new machine, but he said until there is a track record of the machine not working they don't do that. I paid with a check and now don't know what to do. Any suggestions?? They did give me a machine to use while mine is being fixed.
What the heck constitutes a "track record of the machine not working" you have had to take it in for service 3 times in as many months? I would mention that little gem to the dealer and ask what constitutes a track record of the machine not working if not this?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:55 AM

I would write the company and give a list of reapirs.and tell them you are not happy....
Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Kas

Yep. I had trouble with my floor model, too. The thread was jumping back through a path it should only travel once! So it made a thunking noise when it was doing this and then it would break the thread. VERY annoying. They kept trying to tell me it was because I was putting my thread spool on in the wrong direction. I tried every way there was to put it on the machine and also tried a holder behind the machine. Same problem. After about six times in to get it fixed, they called and said I was getting a new machine since they couldn't get mine to stop doing what it was doing. I am very happy now!