Ever Worry about Posting?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Berta48
You Google anyone.Type in thier name it will show3 you where they live and address! Scary!
Why is this scary? You have been able to do this using a regular phone book for decades.

My name, address, phone number and email address are all posted on my website, there's a video of me doing some sewing on Youtube so anyone can see what I look and sound like (if they're that interested) and I have no concerns whatsoever. I have a very small and friendly dog and no guns. But then, I live in rural England, all my neighbours are also my friends, perhaps it's different here... :-)
Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Banned

Doesnt concern me. Just dont enter any vita info.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
No worries with me....The digital camera I use does not have GPS capability ...and... I do not publicize my daily activities/routines as some folks are prone to do.

Please be aware......If pics are taken with a device (aka phone) that is equipped with GPS, the exact location of where the pic was taken can be itentified.
There is a site, can't remember the name that posted your public info, so curiosity got the best of me, I went to the site and posted my name and waaalaaa there I was, map to my house and all my address info, included my phone number, even had a picture of my driveway and I was like how in the heck or when did they do this......

with utility companys gives out your info...

I wish I knew who took that picture of my home, jeep and driveway to my house, cause I thinking lawsuit...

Thanks to phone companys, and electric company's, ect.
Go to whitepages.com and plug in either your name or address and see what info pops up for you. It gives the names of each person in household AND the ages.

I found this out when I was trying to locate a customer phone number I had written down incorrectly.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:23 AM

My understanding is that if you post from a cell phone with activated GPS capabilities your photo can be traced to the locale it was taken from. This was demonstrated recently on a site connected with Yahoo, the only brouser I use. A reporter took a close up picture of a cup of coffee at an unknown site and the technician could tell the reporter within minutes where the coffee was located. In another instance a person posted a brag picture of a car in front of his house. He wondered how people located his house and his car wanting to buy the car. It was the Lat. and Long. ID tag in the cell phone picture. In the movie RED Bruce Willis intentionally elongates a call knowing the receiver could track where the call was coming from. He wanted the receiver to know Bruce was in the man's home.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 AM

Wow. Yup, typed hubby's name. It gives his age, address, map to our house, 'assoiciated people' including me, daughter and his parents by name. Also lists a city I haven't lived in for over thirty years. Now, if you want to pay for even more info...oh, boy.
Originally Posted by IBQLTN
No worries with me....The digital camera I use does not have GPS capability ...and... I do not publicize my daily activities/routines as some folks are prone to do.

Please be aware......If pics are taken with a device (aka phone) that is equipped with GPS, the exact location of where the pic was taken can be itentified.
There is a site, can't remember the name that posted your public info, so curiosity got the best of me, I went to the site and posted my name and waaalaaa there I was, map to my house and all my address info, included my phone number, even had a picture of my driveway and I was like how in the heck or when did they do this......

I wish I knew who took that picture of my home, jeep and driveway to my house, cause I thinking lawsuit...

Go to whitepages.com and plug in either your name or address and see what info pops up for you. It gives the names of each person in household AND the ages.

I found this out when I was trying to locate a customer phone number I had written down incorrectly.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Administrator

i think it's wise, in general terms, to think twice whenever you're going to post anything on the internet that relates to your personal life.

there are literally billions of people on the internet now. the only thing on our site that's protected from public view is our private message traffic. everything else can be seen by anyone who stops here as they travel the information superhighway.

i don't worry much about posting photos of things. i'm no longer comfortable posting photos of myself or my family. i know i would never post a photo of any child i know.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:35 AM

No, I never worry. Figure if someone is looking for me I hope it is a long lost family member with money!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
LMB

Not here, I don't!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:23 AM
RST

k3n -- not all Americans have big mean dogs and guns : ) The only guns in our house are orange plastic nerf guns that shoot foam darts (awesome) and the dog is a gentle, quiet, affectionate therapy dog who spend her free time cheering up kids in hospitals. The cats are a little more mean, so maybe they would protect us.

We actually had a home burgler a few years back. We pitied the fool -- the house was full of legos and strips of fabrics carefully stored in the boxes he looked through. He left with nothing more valuable than a broken watch that cost $20 at most, 15 years prior, and a leather jacket that was worn through at the elbows and back of the neck. Oh -- and a charger for a phone, though he did not get the phone.

Interestingly, the detective who handled the case said that in the vast majority of the break ins, they are looking for guns (not the nerf kind).

It was a very sad experience for him. More hauls like that, and he might have to mend his ways. And we have since then put a more secure lock on our back sliding door.

RST
Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM

I think google and maps does these... i took an inside tour of our old home in Pasadena!! saw all the remodeling, etc. couldn't believe it! house is for sale now...