Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hope for Smokers who think they can't quit! >

Hope for Smokers who think they can't quit!

Hope for Smokers who think they can't quit!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 PM

Great job!!! Take it one day at a time! You can do it! :D

Originally Posted by quilter2
Congrats to you Gail, wow, a year, that's great, I'm trying to quit, its been three days, long way to go for a year.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
Congrats to you Gail, wow, a year, that's great, I'm trying to quit, its been three days, long way to go for a year.
KEEP AT IT ONE DAY AT A TIME...hugs
That's what I say to myself each day, I'll be happy to just get to a week of not smoking.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM

The first week is the hardest. After that you can say to yourself...."come on...you've made it a week...it's all in your head now". Find something to do during those "trigger" times. Like I always wanted to smoke when on the phone so I got an ear bud and started talking on the phone while cutting fabric or something. I always smoked after meals and then cleaned the dishes so I started cleaning the dishes right after I ate. The craving is only a few seconds so find ANYTHING to get your mind off of it til the next one. As time goes on, each craving will be shorter and they will get further and further apart. Good luck!!

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
KEEP AT IT ONE DAY AT A TIME...hugs
That's what I say to myself each day, I'll be happy to just get to a week of not smoking.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:23 PM

YAY QBee!!!!! I am only good since Christmas, my present to myself. There are times, but I am doing pretty well. Congrats to you on a job well done
Old 03-10-2011, 02:53 PM

OBee, IBQUILTIN and all of you who are quiting!! Congratulations! It is the single most healthful thing you can do for yourself! Not too many QB friends know this but I did smoke for 44 years and quit on 08-08-08! When I am gone for a few days on one of my business trips, it is because I am a motivational speaker for Pfizer Pharmacueticals and they send me all over the US to speak at hospitals and medical centers, etc. We educate and try to motivate people to stop smoking! If I can help anyone on this board to quit this horribly addictive habit I will do so! It is my 2nd passion, after my wounded warriors! Just pm me if you need tips, help, or any other way I can support you. Good luck...I know you can do it because I did! After 44 years!!
Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Over thirty years ago I did not quilt smoking, but I did quit buying cigarettes. I told myself if I really needed a cigarette I would find someone who smoked a menthol, had a light and would give me one. I am not much of a borrower so this was a rather remote possibility, and they would have to have my brand...so here we are, don't even know anyone who smokes anymore, thus I have not had a cigarette since then. Now I say if I am ever jumping out of an airplane and the chute doesn't open, I will have a cigarette, if I can find someone who has a cigarette and match. My advise to anyone who wants to stop smoking is to stop buying cigarettes. It worked real well for me, as even during those years I found times I really needed a smoke, I never found anyone to bum one off of.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 PM

congratulations! It will be 2 yrs this coming August for me.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 PM

I have tried about everything made to quit smoking...the chantix just about made me lose my mind and I was a basket case. I have emphesema, COPD,asthma and one functioning lung. I smoke just a few cigarettes a day but just can't make myself give it up entirely.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Good for you!!! It will be 16 years in December for me.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 PM

Congratulations, quitting is not an easy thing to do. I quit 34 years ago and still remember how difficult it was.