Online Dating..Opinions.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:37 PM

I also met my husband on line almost 15 years ago. We emailed & talked on the phone for a month before meeting for lunch. We were honest about what we were looking for in a relationship and just let it develop naturally. If someone tries to talk you into an unsafe situation--run. A truly caring & considerate person would never make you put yourself in a dangerous situation.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vicki W
I met my hubby online and we have now been married 9 years (well in another couple weeks). We have known each other for over ten. I wouldn't have met him if I didn't go online. He lived in the next state and we share the hobby of genealogy. My brother also met his wife online approximately 7 years ago.

Be careful, don't provide your home address or home phone.

Always let someone else know you are meeting someone. Call them before and after the date.

Meet in a neutral place.

Safety first, there are some great people out there but there are also some weirdos. Better safe than sorry.

Don't let anyone talk you into anything you are not comfortable with....

OK....enough from me, I am sure you can tell I am a Mother?
I met my wife online, from another country even! We have been in contact for 5 years and married for 3. We are so very much in love and happy
With all that being said I agree with Vicki always protect yourself
David
Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

I agree, just be careful. It works for some, bad for others, but always pays to be cautius!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM

I've also had a positive experience with it. I met my husband online over 10 years ago, then married him 7 yrs ago. We're still going strong and have 2 kids. I weeded out a lot of e-mails that just didn't "feel right" before we started writing to each other. We talked on the phone a lot and knew a lot about each other before meeting. Although I'm aware that people can portray themselves as anything they want you to believe so it is a very good idea to use caution when setting up a potential date.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 PM

I found my husband online. But we did know each other when we were kids. Just be careful and smart. Look at it as a way to meet new friends.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

I don't see anything more dangerous than meeting someone at a bar! In fact, less so- just be sure to meet in a public place for coffee.
JMO!!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:59 PM

You need to be very careful... as if you wouldn't any way. Many of the listing's I saw when I looked .. well, too many were "widow's" and I dated a couple of frogs... loser's, abuser's, and just plain ole, "someone I wouldn't take home to meet mama"....

So hard to meet someone these days ... best of luck to you.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:28 PM

My son met his wife on line and they have been married 11 years. It's not for everyone though. Just be very, very careful.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:37 PM

I have met plenty of people on line. Some I dated, some people were just friends. Boys girls doesn't matter. Technology has come so far, you can video chat with people to get to know them. It is not like your randomly picking people out of a hat and deciding to share your life with them! It is just another way to be social.
Yes there are con artists, but you don't have to go online to meet them, you can just as easily be conned at the checkout line!
Meet online, meet off line. there is no difference people are people.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM

just be safe! and smart!