Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 >

Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0

Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0

Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 PM

I know there have been some recent posts about Pfaff machines. I have the one mentioned in the title and wonder if anyone else has it and if they have trouble with the thread bunching up for no apparent reason. Have taken it back to the shop a couple times and of course it never happens when they try out the machine there. Thanks for any responses. NannyQ
Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

The only problem I had with mine was caused by me threading the machine wrong. Sigh
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM

There are reviews and threads on patternreview.com addressing this and other problems with the QE 4.0. Apparently, it's a dream machine for many but a real headache for other owners. Just recently, one was posted for sale in the QB classifieds by a new user, with no mention of problems, before the post was deleted by admin. The same person posted on patternreview that she's having problems with it. It's now for sale on sewitsforsale. Definitely a model to test drive before buying.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 PM

Thank you for your reply. I loved the machine and purchased it for it's great features. This bunching problem seemed to come from nowhere - will check out the website you recommended.
The Lord's peace to you also! NannyQ
Old 03-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Is it just at the start of seams? Something that could be remedied with a straight stitch throat plate and/or scrapping on? Or maybe a tension issue? You may have already tried all this, but maybe look for a little speck of lint or thread somewhere, open the top tension to zero and "floss" the discs gently with UNwaxed floss or thread, clean out the bobbin case really well. Surely others who are more mechanically inclined have better/more ideas. After that, haunt your dealer until you get what you paid for! You deserve a machine that works as advertised, an effective tool to manifest your creativity.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Maybe Pfaff just isn't your brand, everybody has their own brand that they love. Next time try out different brands, there are a lot of brands out there with the same features. I have have seen good things posted and bad things posted about all brands, so you can't be too swayed by reviews. Test driving is the best method
Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 PM

I have had this same machine I got as a gift this past Christmas. I have not had any problems with the thread bunching up on the back. I had heard about this and asked they dealer. They acknowledged that there had been this problem w/ older versions of this model, but they had since been resolved. They did say that correct threading of the machine and bobbin caused many of the problems. The machine is a little tricky to thread (the white on white markings are not much help to my bifocaled eyes!!), but fine once you get the hang of it. I love this machine. I have 3 Vikings, and a Bernina serger. This Pfaff has become my favorite.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 PM

I have the Exp 3.0 and found that this happened (like it did with my other machines) if I did not pull the bobbin thread to the top and hold both while I put the needle down when quilting; or if I did not use a leader patch when piecing.

Haven't heard many bad reviews for the 3.0 like it seems there are with the 4.0.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:59 AM

There were a number of problems with the Pfaff Quilt Espressions in the beginning. Many people went directly to Pfaff (as even the dealers were clueless) to report all their frustrations. Supposedly they have been fixed. I know if you go to Pfaff-Talk.com and put it in the search feature you will find out the problems and the solutions they came up with. As I recall and could be mistaken it was something to do with the take up levers and a few other things. I do know there was a major outcry from Pfaffies and they did do fixes for the machine/s and the ones who got the proper fixes love their machines now. Sure hope this helps you.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 AM

Thank you for your reply. Pfaff is my brand now because I invested in this expensive machine :o( Actually, it worked fine for quite awhile and I could be stitching three sides of a quilt border and on the fourth it will bunch up! Will go directly to the Pfaff website now since our local dealer does not seem to know much about it. NannyQ