Online Dating..Opinions.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:05 PM

My son met his wife online. They both had moved out of the province to the same city. They actually grew up 25 miles from each other. Members of their families knew each other, but they had never met. It is a small world sometime. They are now married with one child and another on the way.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 PM

My next door neighbor, one of my customers and DH cousin all met and married someone they met online. Be careful, but I would go for it.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Country1
DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A friend of mine is a county extention agent, well educated and got married and taken for the ride of her life. Destroyed her finacially and emotionally. Another lady I worked with married a guy she had talked with on line for over a year and met several times, he then moved to her town for 6 months before they married. A year later he raped her niece and she found out he had been in prison for molesting his own 2 daughters.
Not saying they are all bad but if you make this choice PLEASE be CAREFUL!!!!!......... :thumbdown:
But this could happen even if you met someone at your local church.

Ask the guy if he minds if you have a private investigator check him out before you meet him. If you never hear from him again, you probably didn't want to meet him anyway.

My older daughter met her husband on line. They are made for each other...

My younger daughter has dated several guys she met online. Nice guys, but not the right guys. It does worry me that she meets guys this way, but she's over 18, self supporting, etc.

Not my way of finding 'the one', but it works for some people.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 AM

Just be CAREFUL! It wouldn't hurt to do all you can to do a backround search on him. In this day and age there are alot of skeletons in closets.----
Old 03-15-2011, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
I think it's tough to make that kind of decision. A friend of mine married a gentleman she'd been exchanging emails with for over a year before they met. Some people have had it work out fine, others have been raped and killed, it's like a game of chance.

I'd be real tempted to have a friend get a picture of the two of you together. Stick with public places til you know him a little better. Introduce him to some of your friends, so he'll know that if anything happens, you have people who care about you that know who you're with. How about making the first date a double date so you're not alone with a total stranger.

Don't forget the old trick of always having enough money with you so you can get home if anything goes wrong or you have an disagreement(and we did that with people we knew). Keep your cellphone handy.

While this may be true it does not happen with just online dating. It can also happen with a person you meet in the "old fashioned" way. You just treat it with caution, be aware. As always take a self defense course, whether you date online or thru a chance meeting, its good to have some basic skills. And one last note, always listen to that inner voice that tells you something is not right, chances are they're not.
mikki
Old 03-15-2011, 03:18 AM

Old fashion...be careful...I'd rather stay single then take a chance...today's day and age...dangerous...sorry...
Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 AM

I tried it and met a few nice people. Mostly not. Both my husband and I were trying eHarmony when a mutual friend introduced us. eHarmony never once suggested us as potential partners but we are the best of friends and very much in love.

Meeting anyone new has its drawbacks. Just because you meet in the grocery store, doesn't mean he is clean, honest and trustworthy. Go in to it to have fun, meet people and have no expectations! Let life surprise you.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:35 AM

I met my honey online and I even mov ed from Texas to NC so we could start our life together.. I met alot of jerks, before I found my prince.. I always told the guys, we will email until I feel comfortable then we will chat online until I feel comfortable then we will hve a met and greet in a very public place..I would have a friend also be at the place and if that was not possible, I would be on my cell when they pulled in and I would give the person I was talking to his license plate number.. A cup of coffee at starbucks or an icecream cone is a great way to start...Also I always got to the meeting place first and I never let them buy my stuff.. I wanted no feelings that I owed them any thing.. I always wrote them a note as soon as I got home and said thank you for the meeting and if I didn't want to see them again I always told them point blank but in a nice way..You will find that men, no matter how much money they seem to have have few manners as far as telling you thanks but no thanks.. The thing that got me was you would have a met and greet, then not hear from them for a week or two then they would write and want a second date.. If they were that inconsiderate that early it was not going to get any better and I would just decline politely.. good luck and have fun at it, just also be very cautious AND stay safe.,.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:35 AM

I met my honey online and I even mov ed from Texas to NC so we could start our life together.. I met alot of jerks, before I found my prince.. I always told the guys, we will email until I feel comfortable then we will chat online until I feel comfortable then we will hve a met and greet in a very public place..I would have a friend also be at the place and if that was not possible, I would be on my cell when they pulled in and I would give the person I was talking to his license plate number.. A cup of coffee at starbucks or an icecream cone is a great way to start...Also I always got to the meeting place first and I never let them buy my stuff.. I wanted no feelings that I owed them any thing.. I always wrote them a note as soon as I got home and said thank you for the meeting and if I didn't want to see them again I always told them point blank but in a nice way..You will find that men, no matter how much money they seem to have have few manners as far as telling you thanks but no thanks.. The thing that got me was you would have a met and greet, then not hear from them for a week or two then they would write and want a second date.. If they were that inconsiderate that early it was not going to get any better and I would just decline politely.. good luck and have fun at it, just also be very cautious AND stay safe.,.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:54 AM

I met my husband at harmony.com and we were together over 30 years before he passed away almost 3 years ago.
Thinking of starting over as I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life, but I'm petrified.
Just be smart and DO take your cellphone and DO meet in a public place for the first few times.
I also know of someone that met on a site and come to find out this man sexually abused his own step kids
Be careful and pray about it!