Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or........? >

Is it just me or........?

Is it just me or........?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 PM

No matter what size fabrics I have in my stash I seem to need more. How much of a fabric should I buy . I see sewing rooms with what looks like big bolts of fabrics I can't afford to buy that much of any 1 fabric unless the pattern is already selected.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:39 PM

I agree with you....mostly. My favorite part of quilting is the designing, picking out the colors, fabrics, choosing a pattern, then tweaking it. I am also very cost conscious (cheap)! A year or so ago, I kept noticing a line of fabrics that caught my eye. It was unusual because it was in colors that are NOT what I typically like. I kept myself from buying any of it, over and over again, but I kept looking at it and thinking about it. Then, I saw a pattern that I instantly knew was perfect for these fabrics, and it needed lots of different fabrics for it to work. I found 2 layer cakes on sale so I went ahead and bought them. I did take out a couple of the fabrics and had a few others from my stash that I replaced them with. Because the packs were in colors I don't usually buy, I didn't have much in my stash to work with and I would have had to find 40 (or so) fabrics, have all those cut as small as the store would cut, and still have a lot left over. I am working on that quilt now, and am loving it. I also found a different designers honeybun on sale and can't wait to do some log cabin blocks with that. Since they are 1 1/2 inches they will make perfect 1 inch logs. One honeybun won't make enough blocks for a quilt, but that is where I get to have fun making it "mine". I bought yardage in the line that I will make the rest of the quilt with.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
I agree with you....mostly. My favorite part of quilting is the designing, picking out the colors, fabrics, choosing a pattern, then tweaking it. I am also very cost conscious (cheap)! A year or so ago, I kept noticing a line of fabrics that caught my eye. It was unusual because it was in colors that are NOT what I typically like. I kept myself from buying any of it, over and over again, but I kept looking at it and thinking about it. Then, I saw a pattern that I instantly knew was perfect for these fabrics, and it needed lots of different fabrics for it to work. I found 2 layer cakes on sale so I went ahead and bought them. I did take out a couple of the fabrics and had a few others from my stash that I replaced them with. Because the packs were in colors I don't usually buy, I didn't have much in my stash to work with and I would have had to find 40 (or so) fabrics, have all those cut as small as the store would cut, and still have a lot left over. I am working on that quilt now, and am loving it. I also found a different designers honeybun on sale and can't wait to do some log cabin blocks with that. Since they are 1 1/2 inches they will make perfect 1 inch logs. One honeybun won't make enough blocks for a quilt, but that is where I get to have fun making it "mine". I bought yardage in the line that I will make the rest of the quilt with.
Best of both!!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:15 AM

When you figure it out, charms, strips, fat quarters, etc. almost double the cost of fabric, which in my mind is really ridiculous. I would rather select my own fabrics and do the cutting myself, which is really part of the process of learning/doing quilting. However, it can be a big help if you need a project done on short notice so I'm not totally against it. :)
Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 AM

I'm addicted to pre-cuts......ALL kinds. I don't have time to do all of that cutting OR matching fabrics. It's so easy and I'm so lazy. I try to buy them on sale. Or not. I just like the idea of "grab and sew".
Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 AM

I don't like precut fabric, bundles, jelly rolls, etc. there is always fabric in it I don't like
Old 03-19-2011, 03:43 AM

Once you see Hoffman Bali Jelly Roll coordinated colors, you'll be hooked! I am, 80
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by eightylady
Once you see Hoffman Bali Jelly Roll coordinated colors, you'll be hooked! I am, 80
Yup, one look and......
I have some high school students doing community service and I will have them making string quilts and log cabin blocks using many leftovers from the Bali Pops! They aren't allowed to use rotory cutters so this is great for them.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:18 AM

I have only bought them when they have been clearance priced!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 04:35 AM

I must be an odd ball as I love fat quarters, jelly rolls, charms and all those sugary (jelly rolls, turnovers, turnovers, honey buns, etc. :-P ) precuts. I was online at the FatQuarter Shop yesterday and found something new that I'd never seen before. Candy Bars (I think they were by Moda). They are 2 1/2" x 5".