any herb growers out there

Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Nolee, what tradition herbalist? I was trained in teh Wise Woman tradition by Robin Rose Bennett (trained by Susun Weed). I'm also doing Rosemary Gladstar's correspondence apprenticeship.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 PM

I do the Medicinal herb garden at the Western Reserve Village gardens in Canfield, Ohio We have 8 or 9 different theme gardens. Culinary, Decorative, Childrens, Tea, Dyers,American Indian, Settlers, Shakesphere,Knot.
I have saved some seeds from last year. False Indigo, Chinele, Yarrow, Blue basil (having a hard time trying to get it to germinate, but plan to buy it again for this year) One small plant 3' dia and 2' tall BEAUTIFUL.Have a few others too. Haven't been out to see what made it through the winter.
We added a new section last year too include a larger varity of medicinal herbs. Have lots of books on the subject.
Got a new book Peterson Field Guide Eastern/Central Medicinal Plants and Herbs. Buy it on Amazon as a used book. About $7 plush shipping. Wonderful book.
I've done Medicinal herbs since 1995 in the gardens.
Your plants look great. I do some in pots at home too.
Kathy L
Old 03-23-2011, 12:44 PM

I have a four foot snowdrift outside my Baywindow. Spring is a ways off here in Michigan.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by canmitch1971
I grow herbs to use when I cook. Last summer I had oregano, basil, rosemary, 2 kinds of parsley, thyme, dill, cilantro, and I have a big bay leaf tree. I just buy the little plants at the nursery and plant them in a big window box and some big pots. I love to do it.
I wish I had a Bay Laurel tree...they take years to grow...
Actually they don't take that long to grow. When I got mine it was about 8-10 inches tall. Last summer I had it outside and it doubled it's size. I will put it out again this summer. It is about 20 inches tall now. I love to have it. I cut 2 or 3 leaves and put them in soup or stew.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:10 PM

my rosemary is sill alive and well. we're already using it. the chives are coming up. i cut some the other day. i can see the beginning of the mint. but i can also see that the sage has died.

i love the rosemary. i treat it as a landscaping evergreen bush that you can also eat. i have three different mints and they want to take over the world. for annuals we add basil, tarragon (that doesn't make it over the winter here), etc. we also eat the marigolds and the pansies. and my favorite eating-flower is nasturtium.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I grow herbs to use when I cook. Last summer I had oregano, basil, rosemary, 2 kinds of parsley, thyme, dill, cilantro, and I have a big bay leaf tree. I just buy the little plants at the nursery and plant them in a big window box and some big pots. I love to do it.
I wish I had a Bay Laurel tree...they take years to grow...
Actually they don't take that long to grow. When I got mine it was about 8-10 inches tall. Last summer I had it outside and it doubled it's size. I will put it out again this summer. It is about 20 inches tall now. I love to have it. I cut 2 or 3 leaves and put them in soup or stew.
yeah, but they get 20 feet tall!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 PM

I have tried growing lavender a few times and it never does well. Would love to get some homemade lavender soap or sachets. It is so comforting.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM

I think Richter's is the best place to buy plants and seeds. My friend( an old hippie , who still enjoys a toke now and then) and I had a nursery and started most of our plants from seeds. What we couldn't start from seeds we ordered from Richter's. I still have seeds in my freezer from there . I should get them out. You can get a free catalog from them. I love it.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
I have tried growing lavender a few times and it never does well. Would love to get some homemade lavender soap or sachets. It is so comforting.
I make soap and sachets...PM if you are really interested in buying!

Most folks don't realize that lavender likes humidity but NOT water...the drier the ground the happier it is ...it likes to be watered from the top..like a mist over it...grows like crazy here in OK..but I grew it in Alaska too!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by granma1
I think Richter's is the best place to buy plants and seeds. My friend( an old hippie , who still enjoys a toke now and then) and I had a nursery and started most of our plants from seeds. What we couldn't start from seeds we ordered from Richter's. I still have seeds in my freezer from there . I should get them out. You can get a free catalog from them. I love it.
I have $150 order ready for them...wow,...what great plant selection they have!