Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are there any applique officionado's out there?  Help? >

Are there any applique officionado's out there? Help?

Are there any applique officionado's out there? Help?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:53 PM

Hi there,
So, I have undertaken a rather...ambitious...project. Some would call it NUTS...I call it ambitious. (My ambition may outshine my actual ability!)
To honor my Grandfather, who was with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, I have enlarged a picture of the hat badge to 26" X 22" and I plan on making it a quilt center. The badge has many little pieces, as well as a big'ol buffalo in the center, and I am struggling trying to figure out how to do all this. Is it kosher to use different applique methods on the same project? For example, for the larger parts that have black outlines around it, I was going to use the satin stitch to outline it. The smaller parts, like the pearls on the crown, I thought I might have to use needle turn (though I have never done that) because the pieces are so small. Alternatively, I could embroider the smaller pearls or jewels (though again...have never done that).
I thought maybe you fine folks might have some advice for me.
The kicker is, if I successfully finish this undertaking, I want to honor my other Grandfather who was in the Hastings Prince Edward Regiment with a quilt of the hat badge for that Regiment. That one has a elk AND a beaver!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Here is a picture of the Hat Badge
[ATTACH=CONFIG]36007[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-36007.png  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Gal

What a lovely idea, I am no expert but if it is to be used on a bed I would keep to embroidery for your embellishments, if it is a wall hanging then you could sew on beads for your pearls and use fabric paints in the difficult parts, I have seen this done before and it is very effective. With the fabric paints you can paint on the design and heat set the paint when dry to stop the paints from bleeding out when washed.

Gal
Old 03-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

For the maple leaves, you could just cut out each side as a whole. Then outline each leaf with a satin stitch and sew in the leafs veins, instead of cutting each one out separately. That would also work for several of the design elements, the ribbon on the bottom being one of them.
You might find a fabric with buffalo heads on it, so you could just cut one out.

You might ask if any member has a design for their embroidery machine that might work for the pearls...something free standing like a applique...that could be sewn down and would be more washable than pearls and it would look more 3D too. Maybe for the crowns jewels, too.

I can't wait to see and hear more ideas for this... I love the story behind this quilt.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 PM

I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm not an expert but I don't see why you can't use different techniques. Years ago I used quickie panels, piecing, tying and hand quilting all on one quilt and it really looked good. (even if I do say so myself)
Gal's right though, if it's going to be used on a bed keep the embellishments to a minimum. If it's to be a wall hanging the skies the limit.
As a person that grew up watching Sgt. Preston of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, I really enjoyed the story of your grandfather. I loved that show as a child.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:18 AM

Try the door emblem for the RCMP, it is alot simpler, even though they are the same thing. Also the RCMP should be able to point you in the right direction to get a door emblem or maybe a picture of one. My husband is Ministry of Transportation, and we have a door emblem.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 AM

To answer your central question.. with Art Quilts which this will be... it is your creation .. you can put whatever techniques in it you desire and use whatever gets your design done.
But before deciding on techniques I think you need to design your quilt top and decide what size the emblem is to be. Larger may very well be easier... however.. pearls of that size might be a dealbreaker.. so you go to a fabric that conveys the sheen and idea of the jewel. Once you get the emblem done "to size" it will be much easier to make design and content decisions. I think this will be lovely.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 AM

Love your plan!

For an art quilt, it is my thought that the sky is the limit on what you want to combine to create your project. Go for it!

For the leaves, you might be able to find some in the silk flowers at Hobby Lobby or Michael's that would already have the color shading that you could use and satin stitch around, then determine your remaining scale from that.

Maybe use pearl beads, velvet and gold lame' for the crown, fake fur for the buffalo...

Oh, this is going to be gorgeous!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:58 AM

I agree that you can use as many techniques as needed for the project!!

One idea I'd like to offer is this... how about taking the picture of the ribbon to an embroidery business and have the ribbon stitched by them? We have a business here that scans in your image and converts it to an embroidery file and embroiders the size that you want in the colours you want. I am sure you'd find a business like that near you.

Good Luck! Looking forward to your posting.

PS the buffalo only looks intimidating... I see it as four pieces... horns, head (with goatee), muzzle and nose, with some satins stitching for the outline of the nose and the eyes. Get a textured brown fabric for the buffalo and it will turn out great.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Love your plan!

For an art quilt, it is my thought that the sky is the limit on what you want to combine to create your project. Go for it!

For the leaves, you might be able to find some in the silk flowers at Hobby Lobby or Michael's that would already have the color shading that you could use and satin stitch around, then determine your remaining scale from that.

Maybe use pearl beads, velvet and gold lame' for the crown, fake fur for the buffalo...

Oh, this is going to be gorgeous!
These ideas are great. I really like the idea of using fur for the buffalo. I friend of mine tried to use lame in a quilt and found that you REALLY have to use a good stabilizer to keep it from going wonky on you.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gal
What a lovely idea, I am no expert but if it is to be used on a bed I would keep to embroidery for your embellishments, if it is a wall hanging then you could sew on beads for your pearls and use fabric paints in the difficult parts, I have seen this done before and it is very effective. With the fabric paints you can paint on the design and heat set the paint when dry to stop the paints from bleeding out when washed.

Gal
I agree, a wall hanging could have lots of different things sewn onto it.