Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting less than you paid for... >

Getting less than you paid for...

Getting less than you paid for...

Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

I just got my order from Connecting threads in the mail today. It was my first order and I was pleased with the quality. Also some of my half-yard cuts were exactly 18", but some were as much as 24"! I was tickled that they were so generous, but after washing the first piece the edges raveled a full 1/2" on each end! Never had fabric fray that much from the wash. Maybe that's why they are so generous, so you at least end up with as much as you paid for. I still came out ahead... ;o)
Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 PM

It sounds like Joann's must be a franchise operation, or so big corporately that each individual store manager and the employees do not have a 'vested interest' in good customore service, wanting repeat business and providing the customer with quality products. AKA a 'chain' just like a McDonald's, a Jack In The Box, Wal-Mart, etc. The smaller indepently owned fabric stores and other privately held business' seemed to have much more interest in meeting the needs of their customers and wanting repreat business. I for one am tired of all the chains coming to towns, reaping the profits from the locals and sending a good portion of the income back to their nation corportate headquarters. It is just as easy to help support a locally owned business that keeps more of the money in the community. Besides, I seem to find much better quality of fabrics and better service from the independents. Libber
Old 03-19-2011, 08:19 PM

I vote we start with Wal-Mart, then Joann's, then Hancock, ... I work too hard for the money I earn to get less than I deserve as a customer. Besides, most of the clerks I have seen in these big chains have not gone through a formal training program of any sort.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by libber
I vote we start with Wal-Mart, then Joann's, then Hancock, ... I work too hard for the money I earn to get less than I deserve as a customer. Besides, most of the clerks I have seen in these big chains have not gone through a formal training program of any sort.
I agree. I now have made up my mind not to buy any fabric at JoAnn's. If I need any notion type products, MIGHT shop there w/coupon & only if there is a coupon. The nearest fabric (LQS) is 1 hour away and I will make that trip rather than shop at JoAnn's. I agree the quality of fabric is not good. Attended the Lancaster show & bought FQ's & the quality is great - MODA - love it. Guess, I'm a slow learner! :roll:
Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 AM

I too have noticed that I come home and find that they did not allow for the prior crooked cut or when straighten I lose several inches. This is really frustrating when you are buying yardage needed for a specific project. I guess this means I need to buy more things by the bolt!! Yeah
Old 03-20-2011, 01:44 PM

How about when you're buying a panel, or a striped fabric that could be used for sashing, borders, etc., and the cutter just measures the yardage without cutting on the correct line of the design? Stores should be aware of this circumstance and advise their cutters to do the right thing without being asked.....the customer should not be rebuffed in a rude way by requesting proper cutting of this type of fabric. When a panel or repeat fabric is cut wrong, several inches are lost....NOT FAIR!!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 PM

I have worked in 2 quilt Shops and owned one. If I was shorted more than once and even once I would speak to the manager or owner. You do not stay in business when your customers are not happy. I would like to know if it was my shop Just one more reason to shop at a quilt shop.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM

Favorite Fabrics wrote:
TacoMama wrote:
...You guys as well as I know if we prewash a lot of times it makes you run short if you buy just the amount that is called for, so I usually have them cut just a small amount more.

Yes, we all do KNOW that fabric will shrink when we pre-wash it. But that is not the fault of the store, or the manufacturer... it is just the nature of the product. Whether we pre-wash or not, that is our choice, after we have made the purchase.

If I buy a pound of ground beef and cook it, there will not be a full 16 ounces left. So should I expect the butcher to give me extra to account for the shrinkage? I think not.

If I wanted a pound of ground beef AFTER I COOKED IT I would purchase more so I could have a pound of ground beef for that dish.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR
There was a post on here about long cuts from a company-
Which company was that? I will have to do a search.
Fabric.com has a 37" yard. I measure some of the fabric and I often get more than a 37" yard.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM

You are exactly right Taco Mama, and that's a very good analogy. I do not prewash, other than flannel, so always buy a bit more than required. If I truly love the fabric, I will buy a lot more!
Today's fabrics are, for the most part, stable and of good quality, depending on which brand we buy. I have not purchased Connecting Threads fabric yet....and there are many conflicting views on it. I think I will need to buy some to form my own opinion.....which is the name of the game. Or....to use another rather hackneyed quote....One man's trash is another's treasure....or....one man's meat is another's poison. LOL. How come they don't say "woman's" meat or trash or treasure? Because these sayings go back hundreds of years....to when women were chattel and deemed worthless. Oops....I have digressed.....but I usually do.
<3