Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise regarding my MIL >

need advise regarding my MIL

need advise regarding my MIL

Old 04-02-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mimom
my MIL's mother has been put in a nursing home, so doesn't remember who I am or where she is most of the time. MIL as asked me to make a quilt for Grandma. I am quite certain she does not plan on paying me anything above the cost for this. I have a pattern picked out and the fabric requirements call for more fabric than what you need. Would it be awful of me to buy (her with me) the fabric that the pattern calls for or should I use the ones I have come up with. We are talking more than an extra yard of fabric. I have many projects planned that will be put aside so I can make Grandmas quilt right away.
Just remember many things disappear and never seen again at nursing homes. I know because both my mother and mother-in-law have been in nursing homes.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:45 PM

I would not go out and buy other fabrics until your MIL is paying for all the costs of the quilt. If your MIL comments on you finsihing one of your WIP for her DM I would simply say I feel GM would love this quilt and unless you are buying new materials I intend to give her this one.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:50 PM

I would use what you have.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Okay. Maybe it's because I'm new to quilting. I would buy what the pattern says. That way it would not be short. If MIL wants to go with and pay - let her. The amount of material is listed for a reason. If extra maybe make a pillowcase?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:04 PM

Guess I don't get it. Make the quilt, get what you would normally buy to make the item. Shouldn't make any difference who your giving it to. If was going to a friend would you be worried about the extra yd.??? Be happy you can do a little something for "Grandma" As for your MIL first of all does she drive?? If so just invite her over for Sunday dinner at least once a month, Hubby should go over there at least a couple times a month anyway just to make sure she's ok. She is LONELY. She just wants to be a part of the family.
I lost both my parents with in 3 months. I wish she could come for dinner.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:04 PM

I would let her buy what the pattern called for, any left over is payment for making the quilt. Remember also that the nursing home will not be gentle when washing the quilt. Put a label with her name on it or the nursing home will mark on it with a permanent marker.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:13 PM

I agree use what you have unless otherwise specified.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:14 PM

I would also ask before I start, without all the work you have to do , I would hate to make it and then she doesn't want it.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by belmer
This is very generous and thoughtful of you to make this quilt for your Husbands Grandmother in the nursing home, but If she doesn't remember you, how will she remember You made the quilt for her? ( that may not be as important.) Also Please be sure to put her name on it in bold letters on the back when you label it. I made my own grandmother a beautiful quilt and some one stole it from her room. To this day I think it was one of the staff people who worked there. Also make sure you or your MIL take it home to be washed, do not let the nursing home take it to their laundry service. Good Luck to you on this wonderful gift for her.
Yes, my aunt who had no memory problems had her quilt stolen. One of her friends came in and threatened a law suit and miraculously the quilt reappeared. If I were you, I would just make a very simple one. All that matters is that it's soft and made with love. Anything more and it's too tempting for sticky fingers.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Dee

My opinion. Go with the flow and in your heart it will make you happy you could do a kind deed. Also, your labor of love, its okay to keep whats left of the fabric.